My new high MPG pick-up "truck"...

They do make fuel efficient cars, but few buy them. This problem isn't Detriot's or even Washington's, it is our problem. If you want to see the cause of high fuel prices and shortages, just look in the mirror.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

You are a liar.

$9.00 worth of gas to fill a tank? No way.

That is probably about 3 gallons to a maximum of 3.5 gallons to fill half a tank. There are no hatchbacks in this country that only have a 6 to 7 gallon tank.

Reply to
Sherman

The Prius has the mileage, but not the price. However, your price is a red herring as people have no problem paying $35K for an SUV so paying $22K for a Prius isn't a problem.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

They pay 35K for the SUV because they think they are getting a $35K car... but $22K for a prius which is about the same type of car you normally pay $16K for? No way!

Reply to
User Example

Not a question of total dollars, but of perceived value. If the Prius was equipped as a standard gasoline powered car, it would sell for about $15k or $16k. For the same price as the Prius, I can buy a minimal model Buick LeSabre and have lots more room and comfort.

Comes down to paying $22k for a $16k car just to be "green" and probably not save a buck in the overall life of the car. Even at today's prices, there is no payback for a long time. In 75,000 miles (assuming a 15 mpg gain) you'd save 1125 gallons of gas, at 3.30 a gallon, only $3712. Not enough to pay the difference in car cost.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Then you really don't care about fuel prices and availability so fill up your SUV and be quiet.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

And that is the reason that Detriot doesn't make cars that get 55-60 MPG. The technology required is very expensive. However, that will change over time and as fuel costs get to $5+ per gallon, the pay back economics will change.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

So, was this You??

PME

Yes, but your normal car depreciates to maybe %60 of it's sale price withiin a few years. A Prius may retain 90%. There's several thousands in savings right there. People right now are selling used Prius for more than they paid, and that was long before this hurricane hit.

Reply to
FDR

Well, back when the SUV craze began, actually several years later I saw a report (don't recall where) in a car mag stating that it was about $10,000. To see just what the premium is, check the price of an SUV vs a similarly equipped pick-up built on the same chassis. Even that is not accurate as 4x pickups have their own excessive markup.

Harry K

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

He said "half". If it was truly half a tank on any car, do the math.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not needed. Wife says I've been going down hill for past few years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On 9/5/2005 6:26 PM US(ET), Matt Whiting took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

BS! Where did you find out that NY doesn't allow diesel cars to be sold in NY? If you want to buy a diesel automobile in NY, go to any Mercedes or VW dealer.

Reply to
willshak

So far the Prius is holding value very well. BUT.. that same Prius is going to need a very expensive battery replacement in a few years time. We are talking thousands of dollars.

I think the hybrids are a good idea and am glad to see them selling well because those sales will encourage the auto companies to continue to improve the technology and develop more technologies to save energy. For my dollar though I would choose something like a VW diesel that gets the same if not better gas mileage without all the unknowns of future battery cost.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I doubt it considering the batteries probably only last about 10 years and then you have to spend several thousand dollars to replace them.

Reply to
User Example

NY is one of the CARB states that has adopted California emission requirements. You cannot buy a *new* diesel car in NY state because none of them meet the emission requirements.

Reply to
George

I don't think it will be anywhere near ten years. Most things I own with rechargeable batteries show noticeable loss of power after three years and have to be replaced by five years. I could be all wet on this subject, just would not be willing to gamble my money on it.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

You could be right but the warranty for the batteries is 10 years from what I understand.

Reply to
User Example

Last time we bought one for our shop it was difficult to find one. No dealer had one, few were even interesting in ordering a low profit model but one did when he realized it was that or nothing. It has no AC, standard trans, no options at all, but does haul what we need and only put on 5,000 miles a year. Most trips are about a mile so we don't need the fancy options that our cars have.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That was my conclusion also ... until I tried to find a VW diesel this weekend. I live in PA, right near the NY border. I found out that NY doesn't allow diesel cars to be sold in the state (for emissions reasons the dealer told me), but you can buy big honking 3/4 ton diesel pickups. Only in NY ... well, and CA.

I then drove to the dealer in PA, and he just laughed when I asked about availability of diesels. He politely said I'd have to take a number and wait in a long line. The local Toyota dealer has Prius' on the lot.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting