Ot: Or not. tower fire...

The saying in my job was you try to make things fool proof. Idiot proof, even.

Making it c*ut proof is the difficult bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, going by the way the council offices were invaded, and the presence of large numbers of banner-waving *white* people at that demo, it seems obvious that 'momentum' (the new cuddly name for militant tendancy) are rocking the boat for all it's worth.

Reply to
Andrew

All New Zealand motorway patrol cars have 'rubber-faced roo bars' on the front, which they use to push damaged cars off the highway.

Reply to
Andrew

On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 19:11:51 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:=

k-

People shouldn't live in flats, they're like prison cells.

-- =

Please do not look into laser with remaining eye.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Like your mates at the Grauniad, you mean?

Reply to
Huge

South Ayrshire Council retrofitted sprinklers in 2002/3 Subsequently experienced 2 serious fires Minimal water damage Refurbishment limited to reddecoration of flats involved.

Pg. 10

Insurance industry am sure is wondering about it as well, how much of a discount is it worth offering to places less likely to be total loss.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

It must really have got up your nose that K&C, with an average income of some 140k, now has a Labour MP. As does most of London.

Best to stick to your part of Little England.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And not left his fire-stop front door open, allowing the stairwell to be smoke-infiltrated.

Neighbours reported being able to see right into his flat at the the burning fridge. The door is supposed to have self-closers.

Reply to
Andrew

;-) It's part of that legacy where we were once an important enough country that someone might want to nuke. Long since gone.

But perhaps some think Kim Jong-un lies awake plotting against the UK as his first target when his medication finally wears off. Or that we'd use Trident if he attacked South Korea.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which is why it was targetted by a mob who were controlled and egged on by the usual suspects - 'Momentum', the new new cuddly name for Militant Tendancy.

Reply to
Andrew

How many languages would it need to make the announcement though ?.

Maybe convert all tower blocks to North Korean standards where every apartment has a radio speaker permanently broadcasting Kims 'news' and views, which cannot be turned down or off.

Reply to
Andrew

shades of 1984.

Reply to
charles

Who have to pay the taxes that funds the annual £20 Billion bill for housing benefit that pays these peoples London rents, whilst they, themselves have to live 50+ miles away and spend 5 hours a day commuting into London, because living in London is an impossible dream for them.

Meanwhile in South Africa, it is the 'poor' who live in townships, 50+ miles away from the city, and they have to the commuting.

Reply to
Andrew

And do you really want 600 people trying to get down a single stairwell while the FB are trying to get up it?

Reply to
Huge

That is interesting. The cladding/insulation is IMO DHS work. A small amount of government grant and permission to borrow was available (I think DHS has finished now). The rest had to come from revenue, PFI, ALMO or stock transfer. Decent Homes work is the sole reason a large number of council estates were sold to HAs or demolished.

It seems TMOs were able to act as a lever to access funding from somewhere, but I've not heard of that. Not have I heard of a TMO 'taking responsibility' for capital works. It was not set up to work that way. But as you say:

Reply to
RJH

And the signage will need to be in 45 languages, plus a video screen showing sign-language to keep the disability activists happy.

How do totally deaf people manage when the fire alarm goes off?.

I remember being in Croydons new library when they did a fire alarm test to see how long the public took to evacuate.

The EU-compliant Sounders all went off with their new 'Wee Wahh Wee Wah' noise and nobody moved. When the staff rushed around and said the fire alarms were going off, most people refused to move because they could not hear an alarm BELL ringing.

Reply to
Andrew
[12 lines snipped]

I used to work in a 45 storey tower in Canary Wharf. Fire drills were ... interesting. The first time they did one, it took over an hour to clear the building, and there were a number of ankle injuries among young ladies trying to climb down 30-odd flights of stairs in "killer heels". I was always glad I only worked on the 9th floor. Whenever the alarms went off and they announced over the PA "Fire has been detected in the building. Remain where you are until told to leave", I always used to find I had a sudden urge to go out for coffee.

And no, I don't recall if it had sprinklers or not.

Reply to
Huge

Flashing lights, or maybe they have a hearing dog?

A week or so ago I was in a server room, and thought I could barely hear "the howler" above the background din, so was looking for a phone handset which might have been left off-hook, at that point someone else came into the room and was slightly puzzled at me peering under shelving etc ... he explained there had just been a fire alarm test.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The company I work for has fire alarms in the local office like that, but as they are tested once a week, we do all know them and any outsiders would always have a staff member with them. At their main site there is much more likelihood that there are contractors working on site who are not usually there and they may be working unaccompanied by staff. Site also uses electronic sounders, but they still give a bell sound.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I don't have mates in any newspaper, pet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)