Ot: Or not. tower fire...

Not quite. I got a grant for this place. It already had a bathroom and internal loo. It was a repair/modernisation grant. Works done included a new roof and central heating. The house was structurally pretty good.

Depends on your viewpoint. Helping keep the housing stock in good condition - whether private or council - could be seen as a decent enough objective.

But I can just see all our right wingers frothing at the mouth over such an idea. Unless it is Rees-Mogg's family home, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Vast number of privately owned high-rise in London these days. That is the growth area. Don't really know of any recently built council high-rise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Except the Grenfell tower wasn't insulated with polystyrene and ply so this is irrelevant.

Reply to
Huge

So send them to Scotland. Nicola wants more people.

Demolish Grenfell, build another Shard and re-instate the correct balance of voters.

Reply to
Andrew

Thing is I'm not really sure any council officials get involved in such things. Other than approving which overall contractor gets the job - perhaps based on the lowest quote. And that lowest quote might well involve cutting things back beyond the bone. Only a properly qualified council official would have any idea if this was the case or not. And my suspicion is all that once would be have been got rid of, or their department reduced in size to the point where it is no longer fully effective.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought it had communal areas with laundry facilities ?.

Reply to
Andrew

What I'd expect.

You have to look at the reasons behind creating a TMO.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Darwins law, like Approved Doc B needs updating (taking account the steady fall in the average IQ of a 'Briton' since WW2) :-

Survival of the fittest AND, the least stupid, AND those without a genetic tendancy to get Cancer.

Reply to
Andrew

Well he'll be in the dock too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'll give a Corbyn type answer to that. Makes far more sense to spend those billions on Trident, which everyone knows will never be used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No - it's a kind of in-between state. The LA retains ownership.

Reply to
RJH

An ALMO can borrow money - in the sense they can walk into Barclays and ask for a loan. TMOs can't.

Reply to
RJH

I'll let you build a fake trident at 1/1000th the price, and spend the difference on something else, provided you can guarantee that nobody

*ever* finds out it's fake :-P
Reply to
Andy Burns

It did.

Reply to
Huge

ITYM Any solution has to be vandal-proof, theft-proof and INcapable of being operated in the pitch dark by a stoned/drunk idiot in a panic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, it was clad with it instead.

Or as it transpires. zinc or alloy sheet on a polyethylene core.

Burns the same though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And everyone involved who might face criticism will want their own QC appointed.

Reply to
mechanic

Of course, like the Ford Pinto, multiplied over the number of similar deathtraps already built/converted it may well have saved a lot more.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. But there are degrees of "in-betweenessness". KCTMO appears to be towards the end of the spectrum which gives it greater control up to and including major works - although I'm not saying that definitely included the refurbishment in question.

I'll include below an opening bit which goes some way to address Mr Plowman's repeated nudge-nudge, wink-wink:

"In the early 1990s, the tenants and leaseholders of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea decided to pursue their legal right to manage their own homes. Following two separate ballots in 1994 and 1995, the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO) was established on 1 April 1996 and the responsibility for managing 9,760 properties passed from The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea to the Tenant Management Organisation.

The Council still owns the properties and retains responsibility for strategic housing policies and homeless people. The relationship between KCTMO and the Council is governed by a Management Agreement, which covers all areas of the landlord business. Whilst KCTMO still enjoys a close working relationship with the Council, it is a completely separate company.

In 2002 KCTMO took over the responsibility for major capital works from the Council to access extra resources and funding to enable KCTMO to bring the properties up to the Decent Homes Standard."

I'm tempted to say the "truth is out there" but expect there are sadly now also many alternative truths.

Reply to
Robin

Quite sure there as many nutters out there as on here. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)