OT: Mystery device

I like this kind of stuff. I see something odd when I'm out and about and then try and work out what it's for.
If this is what I think it is it's (slightly) reassuring. ;-)
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/6jevpx2hgguv4vk/AABCaYMMTHM-pQ8mgCcv6pa7a
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 12/10/2016 20:23, Tim+ wrote:

They aren't very good photographs because the sky has reduced the exposure. Try half pressing the shutter with the camera looking straight forward before raising it to a view that has a lot of sky. That locks the exposure. You'll lose sky detail but that doesn't matter. Also, strange as it sounds, even outdoors in daylight turning the flash on can help a bit with this sort of adverse lighting, especially if you can get close. Maybe the best thing though is to position yourself so the light is more favourable. If this means you will be standing on the tracks it's an idea to watch out for trams or trains.
Bill

Mobile phone. I was on my bike. I couldn't be arsed. ;-). The essentials are there for you to work out what it is.
Try half pressing the shutter with the camera looking straight

Impossible in this situation.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 12/10/2016 21:06, Tim+ wrote:

As my wife said, it's a bad workman that blames his tool.

Some phones allow exposure compensation, locking, etc.
Bill

Of course, but not while the wife is waiting impatiently for you to get a move on and stop faffing about photographing mystery objects. ;-)
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 13/10/2016 08:38, Tim+ wrote:

Threaten to withdraw her marital privileges.
Bill

Those arent privileges in his case.
On 12/10/16 20:56, Bill Wright wrote:

+1. 'contre jour' is IIRC the correct term. 'against the day' or into the light. Flash definitely is the way to go and most modern cameras will 'understand' and 'do te right thing'.

We had a French exchange student a few years ago and she knew I didn't speak a word of French. When I took her to the Bradford media museum and used the expression contre jour she gave me a right look.
I didn't use it here because it would seem like showing off.
Bill
On Thursday, 13 October 2016 03:25:46 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:

A lot of these French expression are Faux. Cul de sac. Nom de plume. Etc. They make no sense at all to a French person.
On 13/10/2016 17:21, harry wrote:

Cul de sac means a cat in a bag. Nom de plume means smokeless zone. In loco parentis means my dad is an engine driver. A la carte means mobile chip shop. Chauffeur means your dad. Creme de la creme means a really profitable burglary. Creperie are special burglars' shoes. De rigueur is a French TV aerial installer. Divertissement is an alternative route. Je ne regrette rein means I don't care if it rains. Mange tout means fanny fart.
Bill
On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 21:39:33 +0100, Bill Wright

Coalman to housewife, "How do you want it, cul-de-sac or a la carte?"
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On Thursday, 13 October 2016 17:22:00 UTC+1, harry wrote:

on-core is another.

Using flash will force many cameras to a slowish shutter speed to allow the SLR shutter to fully expose the film - perhaps this logic is still applied in which case, if the scene is not relying on flash it can confuse the exposure. Also - don't expect a small flash to have any affect over about 10 feet. Why do people use flash in stadiums and for sunset photos????
DerbyBorn wrote:

Because they have never heard of the inverse square law, and in any case have no idea how to turn it off.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

a great many years ago, I was demonstrating CEEFAX at an international exhibition. Someone wanteed to take a picture of the screen - he held his light meter up to the screen and said "it's a bit dim, I'll use flash" and did.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Thursday, 13 October 2016 14:01:54 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

what century are yuo talking about ?
even my old practica of the mids 70s synch at 1/125

because the cameras set to auto.
On 13/10/2016 16:41, whisky-dave wrote:

Which is slow compared with 1/1000 or faster, isn't it?
--
Rod

jim <k> wrote:

The cable in the foreground is a rope, physically unconnected with the overhead wires behind.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

?
Part of an arrestor-wire system to stop a rogue 747 overshooting & tangling with the electified railway.
There are some times when you don't want a 'joined up' transport system.