OT MSSE XP end of support nagging screens etc

Microsoft Office is notorious for failing to read it's own file formats properly.

However both Libre Office and Open Office have (at least one) bug that is a showstopper otherwise I would use it all the time.

Reply to
Mark

True. And, IIRC, AVG defaults to pre-loading all links on every web page you visit. Not good to keep your bandwidth down.

The published workaround didn't work for me so I ditched Avira for good.

--snip--

I wonder if it buggers up programs that disable Alt-TAB (like the Avira one did)?

--snip--

Reply to
Mark

Have you reported it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed - it gets fairly tiresome in short order. Even in cases where your chosen OS is not the ideal platform for a specific task its still seems rather daft to suggest changing your whole computing environment of the strength of one job alone, since no platform is perfect.

Of course, apart from when its not...

Support for games players is getting better, but its still not perfect. There is no photoshop option yet (and no, gimp really is not the answer!). Much depends on your workflow.

MS are fairly famous for that... but then by the same token LO is equally famous for not quite getting the formatting spot on when you round trip a doc between that and Wood 2007 / 2010 etc.

MS rarely document their binary formats (and even when forced to by court orders, do a pretty incomplete job) and view incompatibility in many cases as a sales tool.

Not that Office suite compatibility has anything to do with OS platform as such.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hear, hear.

Reply to
Huge

IIRC it's already on the bug list. I need to check back again with I get a round tuit.

Reply to
Mark

That sounds like something which is writing to the wrong part of the registry.

Back in 1999, I was working on an app, and we migrated (correctly) from INI files to registry settings. However I wasn't involved in the initial code, so missed that they weren't adhering to MS guidelines, and writing to reserved keys - needing admin permission. Of course they were all admins, so never had a problem. However, as I pointed out in my email to my boss, MS recommendations were that software should NOT need admin permissions to install.

Of course I was ignored. The software went out, and a few months later we had a call from a service engineer who had gone to fit the hardware and install the software, and got the error requiring admin permissions. The IT dept of the customer were red-hot on following MS advice and refused to let the software install. Big hoo-hah, and once again, I was glad to have an email trail demonstrating it was a management issue, not a techincal one.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

what other kind is there?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Especially a user that hasn't installed the import filters from M$.

Reply to
dennis

Just wait for 2038, that will cause trouble unlike 2000.

Reply to
dennis

IIRC quite a few games would only run if the user had full admin permissions owing to the DRM.

Reply to
Mark

If you add a software firewall then it does nothing to stop a threat that is already on the machine.

It also adds attack vectors to the machine and may or may not stop other external threats.

A proper fire wall does add extra protection.

Reply to
dennis

It won't be any worse. All decent software should have moved to the

64 bit version of time_t so the next deadline is Sunday, 4 December 292,277,026,596.
Reply to
Mark

That's fine (?!) in a domestic environment. But these were office-based NT machines, with a proper security policy, under MS white paper guidelines. And they weren't going to break them for *anybody*.

In the end, we got around it by adding a command-line switch, which enforced use of the INI file, since the settings routines had been added to the existing ones, rather than replacing them. INI files were deprecated, but not banned by MS, so that was OK.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

So what is a proper firewall if not software then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, it is not.

Just because it's MS's default setting does NOT make it "fine".

Reply to
Adrian

I was just saying that if a game insists on admin permissions, it's most likely being installed in a home PC, where the owner has the control.

In big organisations that either do things "by the book", or outsource to someone who does things "by the book" then installing an app which needs admin permission just isn't going to happen, unless there's a mandated exception in the book.

In the instance I referred to earlier in the thread, when the shit hit the fan, the directors wanted to know why our software wasn't "industry compliant". They didn't like the answer (in the form of another email) where the team had requested a training course on MS best practices, and been told that it wasn't necessary.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The key difference is that its (mostly)[1] software running on something other than the host machine.

[1] High end ones will use dedicated FPGAs / ASICs for some functions to get enough speed.
Reply to
John Rumm

Is that before or after the sun runs out of fuel? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

After, IIRC ;-)

Reply to