Self repairing appliances

My front loader washing machine has been leaking on the floor for years. I have been waiting for the 30 year old machine to thrash itself to bits. Now the leak has stopped and the machine is going very well.

My 25 year old dishwasher was also leaking, and the dial was stopping after a few minutes. Now it's working perfectly.

Do computerised appliances fix themselves like this?

Reply to
MattyF

Leaks can often seal themselves with crud and/or hard water scale.

Not like this, but Enterprise class computer systems have been self-healing for decades, using designed-in redundancy.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No but in the case of the washing machine, I had one like this, it was a Service. It apparently was prone to that leak due to the door hinges being a bit weak and bendy. One day i walked into the open door. Ouch my shin, but it never leaked again till it eventually died due to magic smoke emission. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Come come, we don't all own a Biko. On the dishwasher, like the mechanical devices on older washing machines, they do manage to jam sometimes due to debris built up on the gears etc. Often a good thump moves the debris and it works again. I don't have a dishwasher, I am the dishwasher. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

MattyF expressed precisely :

Yes, they use nano technology. The nanos take a while to wake up, but when the computor spots a developing fault, once it has manage to wake up the nanos, off they go, scrrabbling down the wiring to fix the faults.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

This is of course completely different to the Clive Sinclair Wafer Scale Integration system of self diagnostic memory chips. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Did you not hit them with a hammer?

Reply to
ARW

That's not self healing, that's fault tolerance.

A bit like using your other hand when one gets tired. You run out of hands in the end.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris