Washing Machine Discharge Pump Removal

I have a 7 year old washing machine that has sprung a leak. I've traced it to the water discharge pump on top of the motor. I've found the part on the internet and suspect the seal around the motor shaft is probably leaking.:

Frighdaire Crown Series Washing Machine Model F21C645CT0 Serial XC51079479 Pump or washing machine discharge pump on top of motor.

$51.35 with shipping.

My current problem is that I can't get the thing off the motor. I removed the two spring type retainer clips and pulled but it doesn't want to come off. I'm wondering if there is something else holding it on.

PJ

Reply to
PaulJ

Hi,

Yup, usually rust :(

A copy:

Changing a pump tips: This pump (

) is pressed onto the motor shaft. The motor shaft often starts to rust and the shaft swells out and holds onto the pump...tightly!! Often need to...remove power, remove the pump clips, remove the hoses from the pump assy. if the pump assy will not lift off of the motor shaft, you may need to remove the motor & pump together and break off the pump assy. A hammer and flat screwdriver can usually crack the old pump so it can be replaced. Sand/clean the motor shaft before installing the new pump.

Your pump for the model#...

machine discharge pump on top of motor.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid