Washing Machine Pump Leaks

1996 Kenmore 90 series Has anyone here repaired a leaking washing machine pump? What was the cause of the leak? Or is it not worth the effort and I should just replace it?
Reply to
bobneworleans

Since it's nearly 20 years old, I'd get a new one.

Even if you fix it, something else will soon enough give out.

A new (no frills) washer is maybe $430 or so

Reply to
philo

Leaks can be seals or corroded housing, if metal. Either replace the entire pump or, after 20 years, replace the machine. If the parts are more than $50, probably best to use that towards a new machine. It won't be long before you have other problems. Average life is about

12 to 15 years so you are doing OK.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But I thought I read here that the new ones have even lower life span.

So it means replacing something that repairable with something that will break in 5 years, from what I read on ahr.

Reply to
micky

In 2003, I discovered that my old washer was leaking. I decided it wasn't worth fixing. At the same time, a relative found that her Kenmore Model 110 wouldn't drain. She thought it wasn't worth fixing.

She offered it to me. Online, I saw that the pump would be easy to replace and fairly cheap. I said, "Yes please." When the washer arrived, I discovered it wasn't the pump but the motor coupler. I bought one online for $8. The whole thing was so quick that I got it running without a trip to a laundromat.

If I wash fleece, I have to brush the lint off afterwards. I guess the self-cleaning lint filter doesn't work right. Otherwise, I've had no trouble. I seem to have grown fabulously wealthy from the water savings.

Years ago, I spent $1.50 for a 1-ounce tube of plumber's grease. It won't react with seals or melt from hot water. If I were you, I might try that on the pump seals. I'd drill depressions in pieces of 2x4 so I could put them under the feet of the washer to raise it off the floor, and it wouldn't vibrate off. That way, I could slide a tray under the washer to monitor for leaks. If it kept leaking badly and the rest of the washer seemed okay, I'd buy a pump. For my machine, a pump would cost under $30.

Reply to
J Burns

I've replaced them in Whirlpool-made belt drive and direct drive models, but it seems the Kenmore 90 series is a different design. The pump is installed kind of the way it's done with the direct drive I have, but it's accessed from the bottom, like with the belt drive model. The job should be fairly simple, and the pump costs anywhere from $10 - $50. Try to get a genuine Whirlpool pump. Amazon or eBay may be the cheapest. The pump for our belt drive had a hard plastic impeller and seized because the shaft seal failed and allowed water to leak onto the shaft and corrode it. The pump for our direct drive didn't fail but just made a funny humming noise. The whole rotating part was rubber.

Instructions (but no pictures):

You may be able to download a factory manual at ApplianceJunk.com.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

cause of the leak? Or is it not worth the effort and I should just replace it?

Get the price P&L from Kenmore to give you the highest cost of repair. They can also tell you how to get access to the pump.

Check the cost of a new pump or rebuild kit at the local appliance parts house and decided what to do.

My washer had a leak and I could not find it. Turned out to be water backing up in the standpipe splashing on the back of the washer and then running underneath.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

use of the leak? Or is it not worth the effort and I should just replace i t?

Thanks to all for your advice. eBay had the exact pump new for $9 with fre e shipping but I paid my local appliance parts store an extra $7 to have it today. Replacing the pump was almost trivial; it took longer to get the g rease off my hands after lining up the motor shaft than it took to remove t he two spring clips and the hoses. I ran two loads of wash today with the cabinet off and the lid switch shorted to verify that there are no more lea ks. I've never done that before and found it interesting to observe the pr ocess. Wife is pleased, which is always a good thing, and I'm happy not to have to spend $500-$600 on a new washer. At least, not yet.

Reply to
bobneworleans

Gotta love a happy ending. Thanks for getting back with the results.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

cause of the leak? Or is it not worth the effort and I should just replace it?

Thanks to all for your advice. eBay had the exact pump new for $9 with free shipping but I paid my local appliance parts store an extra $7 to have it today. Replacing the pump was almost trivial; it took longer to get the grease off my hands after lining up the motor shaft than it took to remove the two spring clips and the hoses. I ran two loads of wash today with the cabinet off and the lid switch shorted to verify that there are no more leaks. I've never done that before and found it interesting to observe the process. Wife is pleased, which is always a good thing, and I'm happy not to have to spend $500-$600 on a new washer. At least, not yet.

----

That's great! Congrats!

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney