European Appliances in the US

I have 3 French appliances (Miele) which I brought to New York: 1 dishwasher, 1 dryer & 1 washing machine.

Has anybody been successful at hooking up this type of applicance here in the US? They take 220V, 50Hz and 3000W in average each( I have 4000 W transformers which seem to do the trick even if they won't convert the

50Hz into 60Hz (any risk here?). Would it be better to install a 240V line directly to the machines instead of using the transformers?

Also, the plumbing side is somewhat challenging (the washing machine and dishwasher both take 3/4" instead of the standard 3/8" here) which I overcame in piling up some plumbing adaptors. A little leaking though.

Please HELP if you survived such an experience.

Thanks

Reply to
kecp36

No offence intended For what it cost ya to ship them, it probably would have ended up being cheaper to sell them there.

Other poster is right on.... check with the manufacture. Motors and heating elements do not care about the frequency. Clocks, and timers do.

I am at a loss on your transformer explanation. If you have 240v there already why are you using a transformer? Transformers generally do not convert frequency.

Replacing the valves should solve the problem.

Just wait until you need service.

I worked on a pastry "sheeting" machine, used for croissants. The special French motor toasted. Nothing, I mean NOTHING was available in North America would replace the motor. The owner of the shop called France and ordered a new motor, not much bigger around than a loaf of bread. Cost for the motor was $3500.00, that is US dollars not Francs. Shipping cause they were not making pastry was another $900.00. After I got it working again I suggested that the owner lay in a stock of parts that might be needed.

Good luck, If I lived in France I would have French equipment. At least your in the Apple if anywhere will have parts for your stuff they will. Now at what cost.

Reply to
SQLit

You really need to check with the manufacturers to assure that they can successfully be operated on 60 cycle.

If they will operate properly on 60 cycle then you really want to bring in a 240V line (might also check about the 240 vs 220) not try and use a transformer.

You should be able to solve the leaking adapter problems as what you are talking about is not all that unusual, Don't try using it until you have the leak thing fixed. As a professional plumber if needed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Agreed... If you like that brand (Miehle), it would have been better for you to buy the North American versions as the manufactuer has the burden of figuring out the conversion requirments.

That being said.... The 50/60 Hz issue may or may not be an issue with the motors. Many motors made in the USA are stamped 50/60 Hz simply because they may be exported to 50 Hz countries. The reverse may not be true. French electrical stuff is weird and sometimes does not interface well to the North American standard. If you have a an electric/mechanical timer, it may run at the wrong speed. Pump motors could overheat or, worst case, start a fire.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

"The French appliances surrendered, but the American home owner continues the battle"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon