OT: Microwave cooking

Displaying my ignorance again, a question about microwaving food:
We have a Tesco Curry For Two, for tea. Two cartons of curry; each takes 5 mins to microwave. If we stack one on top of the other, do we do them for five mins, or ten mins?
Cheers John
On 15/09/2018 19:42, Another John wrote:

Not as easy as that.
I depends on the oven but, with ours, I'd say 7/8.
Having said that, the times on the packets are only a guide.
--

Smile for the camera ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

On 15/09/2018 18:53, Brian Reay wrote:

Most/many microwave ovens give out less heat the longer they cook so I doubt if it is less than double the time. It depends on how well the cooling of the electronics works.
Stacking them will be a problem as one of them might absorb more energy than the other. Swapping them over halfway might help.

Yes, its best to check the stuff is hot before you eat it.
On 16/09/2018 09:56, dennis@home wrote:

Can you cite and article that backs this up?
I doubt it very much but happy to be proven wrong.
My microwave has a heavy transformer and the only electronic components are a diode and a capacitor, excluding the magnetron of course.
On 16/09/2018 11:39, Fredxx wrote:

If its not got much electronics then it probably uses a bimetallic strip and heater to vary the power by switching on and off, when they are used for a long time the whole thing gets hotter so they spend more time off than they do when cold at the beginning.
On Monday, 17 September 2018 16:13:13 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

each

, do we

they use a bimetal disc to cut power to the transformer when the transforme r nears overheat temp.
NT
On 17/09/2018 16:13, dennis@home wrote:

So what you are now saying is that if I use 100% power, as indeed I do when cooking and not defrosting, the power output is constant.
I thought your earlier post was nonsense, now you have confirmed it.
Do you ever get anything right?

On 17/09/2018 18:10, Fredxx wrote:

Do you? You obviously can't understand something simple.
On 17/09/2018 18:59, dennis@home wrote:

You've admitted the reduction in power is from your bimetallic timer?
Do you accept that the timer would be effectively inoperative for 100% power for most microwave use?
Is this beyond your limit of understanding?
On 17/09/2018 19:22, Fredxx wrote:

No, that is beyond your limits?

On 17/09/2018 21:04, dennis@home wrote:

We seem to covered little ground since some idiot said, "Most/many microwave ovens give out less heat the longer they cook".
On Sunday, 16 September 2018 11:39:07 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:

ach

do we

Yes, I'm not convinced microwaves give out heat.
On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 12:24:53 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

each

r, do we

They do. The transformer & magnetron are air cooled, and that nearly 50% of power input is blown into the cooking cavity as heat. However it doesn't h ave a lot of effect compared to the microwave energy, as little of it is ab sorbed by the food. And fwliw the amount of heat given out increases with c ooking time as the transformer gets ever hotter.
NT
On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 21:12:06 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

y; each

her, do we

o I

of power input is blown into the cooking cavity as heat. However it doesn't have a lot of effect compared to the microwave energy, as little of it is absorbed by the food. And fwliw the amount of heat given out increases with cooking time as the transformer gets ever hotter.
I was saying that microwaves don;t give out heat, they don't. I wasn't refering to microwave ovens or the cable which will alos rise in t emprature due to current flowing.

On Wednesday, 19 September 2018 12:21:50 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

d:

rry; each

other, do we

so I

the

% of power input is blown into the cooking cavity as heat. However it doesn 't have a lot of effect compared to the microwave energy, as little of it i s absorbed by the food. And fwliw the amount of heat given out increases wi th cooking time as the transformer gets ever hotter.

temprature due to current flowing.
Microwaves do give out or turn to heat in the food, that's the whole princi ple on which microwave ovens work.
Details details.
NT
On Wednesday, 19 September 2018 14:21:34 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

ood:

curry; each

e other, do we

ok so I

l the

50% of power input is blown into the cooking cavity as heat. However it doe sn't have a lot of effect compared to the microwave energy, as little of it is absorbed by the food. And fwliw the amount of heat given out increases with cooking time as the transformer gets ever hotter.

in temprature due to current flowing.

ciple on which microwave ovens work.

No they do not.
The microwaves are reflected within the metal interior of the oven where th ey are absorbed by food. Microwaves cause water molecules in food to vibrat e, producing heat that cooks the food.
Microwaves are part of the electromagnetic spectrum they are not hot. They are no hotter than radia waves or lightwaves.
On Wednesday, 19 September 2018 15:48:54 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

are they powered by a triac too?
NT
On Wednesday, 19 September 2018 18:50:40 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No, most things are powered by things that deliver power. If microwaves are hot then how come the air doesn't get hot, or phones don;t get hot when they recieve a wireless signal ?

On Thursday, 20 September 2018 10:19:30 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

you probably should learn to comprehend english first.
NT
On Thursday, 20 September 2018 10:44:15 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No such thing as English is a mixture of langauges and I still don't think microwaves are classed as hot like embers spitting from a fire are.
If yuo think you;re English is superior then prove that in your English microwaves are hot.