OT: Microwave cooking

Displaying my ignorance again, a question about microwaving food:
We have a Tesco Curry For Two, for tea. Two cartons of curry; each takes 5 mins to microwave. If we stack one on top of the other, do we do them for five mins, or ten mins?
Cheers John
On 15/09/2018 19:42, Another John wrote:

Not as easy as that.
I depends on the oven but, with ours, I'd say 7/8.
Having said that, the times on the packets are only a guide.
--

Smile for the camera ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

On 15/09/2018 18:53, Brian Reay wrote:

Most/many microwave ovens give out less heat the longer they cook so I doubt if it is less than double the time. It depends on how well the cooling of the electronics works.
Stacking them will be a problem as one of them might absorb more energy than the other. Swapping them over halfway might help.

Yes, its best to check the stuff is hot before you eat it.
On 16/09/2018 09:56, dennis@home wrote:

Can you cite and article that backs this up?
I doubt it very much but happy to be proven wrong.
My microwave has a heavy transformer and the only electronic components are a diode and a capacitor, excluding the magnetron of course.
On 16/09/2018 11:39, Fredxx wrote:

If its not got much electronics then it probably uses a bimetallic strip and heater to vary the power by switching on and off, when they are used for a long time the whole thing gets hotter so they spend more time off than they do when cold at the beginning.
On Monday, 17 September 2018 16:13:13 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

each

, do we

they use a bimetal disc to cut power to the transformer when the transforme r nears overheat temp.
NT
On 17/09/2018 16:13, dennis@home wrote:

So what you are now saying is that if I use 100% power, as indeed I do when cooking and not defrosting, the power output is constant.
I thought your earlier post was nonsense, now you have confirmed it.
Do you ever get anything right?

On 17/09/2018 18:10, Fredxx wrote:

Do you? You obviously can't understand something simple.
On 17/09/2018 18:59, dennis@home wrote:

You've admitted the reduction in power is from your bimetallic timer?
Do you accept that the timer would be effectively inoperative for 100% power for most microwave use?
Is this beyond your limit of understanding?
On 17/09/2018 19:22, Fredxx wrote:

No, that is beyond your limits?

On 17/09/2018 21:04, dennis@home wrote:

We seem to covered little ground since some idiot said, "Most/many microwave ovens give out less heat the longer they cook".
On Sunday, 16 September 2018 11:39:07 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:

ach

do we

Yes, I'm not convinced microwaves give out heat.
On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 12:24:53 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

each

r, do we

They do. The transformer & magnetron are air cooled, and that nearly 50% of power input is blown into the cooking cavity as heat. However it doesn't h ave a lot of effect compared to the microwave energy, as little of it is ab sorbed by the food. And fwliw the amount of heat given out increases with c ooking time as the transformer gets ever hotter.
NT
On Sunday, 16 September 2018 09:56:03 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

ch

do we

All do, but they're all designed to operate at full whack for 15 minutes be fore they have to go into pulsing mode to avoid overheat, so you'll seldom encounter the issue. It's a classic gotcha for folks that want to tin food in a nuke.
NT

What about ones that use an inverter?
Bill
on 15/09/2018, Another John supposed :

Not so simple as just double. Just microwave them, until they are both good and hot. I tend towards doing things with multiples of sessions, adding up to around the stated time, with a stir in between. Microwaves don't penetrate deeply into food, so the outer gets more heat. A rest and a stir, helps.
Cooking two of the same, as you are doing - I would cook 1 for 2.5, then 2 for 2.5, then 1 for 2.5, the 2 for 2.5 minutes. That way they both end up hot at the same time..
On 15/09/18 19:10, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

That probably why my cheap tesco one toasts the inside of a roll while teh outsiode is still frozen then.
What twaddle you do spout sometimes

You get about 10mm penetration on most foods, so what are you on about exactly?
--
Cheers,

John.
On 16/09/2018 05:10, John Rumm wrote:

He wants to insult someone so his followers think he knows his stuff. Its obvious to him that if he insults someone then everyone knows he is right.
He must have thin rolls to heat up the centre before it conducts to the outside, even if bread is a poor conductor of heat.
Its always the centre that's still frozen when I heat up a bread roll on 1000W. Not so if I set it to 180W for longer.
On 16/09/2018 10:00, dennis@home wrote:

He possibly hopes we won't notice when he is blathering...

and as is often the case, when you attack the man and not the message it suggests the opposite!

--
Cheers,

John.