Knurling in a drill press?

I don't have a lathe or access to one, but I do have a drill press. Is it possible to do some knurling that way using a scissors knurler held in a drill press vice? Something like this one:

Material would be copper rod, 12mm diameter. The idea is to make a safety razor handle.

Reply to
Eusebius

I don't see a reason not to. I doubt I'd bother with the knurling.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's gonna chew the copper to bits, isn't it? Due to the high speed, I mean. You'd need to gear it down *massively* for that idea to stand any chance of success.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The problem with doing much more than drilling in a drill press is that side load on the morse taper will make the chuck walk out of the socket. Also, I'd be surprised if a drill press will go slow enough for knurling. How do you plan to get the controlled movement along the thing you want to knurl?

Reply to
nothanks

I guess you could get around the severe radial loading by clamping the knurling rollers 180' apart so the work piece is in the middle of them. But the idea is a bit of a non-starter for other reasons.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Thanks for all the feedback so far. My drill press is a Rexon 200A. Trying to find instructions for it. Doesn't seem like it turns very fast.

My understanding is that if you use a scissors knurler it doesn't put any lateral pressure on the bearings - that happens when you use the other kind of knurler which pushes towards the part.

Is anybody familiar with using these scissors knurlers that are fairly cheap on eBay?

Reply to
Eusebius

No 'work around' needed as I think you will find that's the point of the knurling tool the OP referenced in his first post.

It is?

He's knurling brass and so as long as he is happy to make sure everything is well lubricated and in one place and the drill on it's slowest speed I see no reason why it wouldn't work (if not ideal).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think the scissor type might be but these?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m