Gas pipe under floor - what are the rules ?

Please can someone verify regulations on gas pipes underfloor.

Here's the situation in a nutshell:

I'm ripping out the old kitchen, to unite the kitchen and dining room, by k nocking down a dividing wall. We will then have an island for dishwasher an d hob.

We were going to go for an induction hob, but I'm having second thoughts an d now considering gas.

So here's the question:

Can a flexible (plastic?) gas pipe be run along underfloor from near the me ter to the island, i.e can a gas pipe be just trailed underfloor, or would regulations state that it needs to be fully fastened at regular intervals ? (I expect that's the case).

I ask because having to fix a long pipe end to end underfloor would mean ri pping up the floor to do so, while simply threading a pipe underfloor from point "A" to point "B" would actually be pretty straight forward, if you do n't have to fasten it along the path.

I don't plan to terminate the gas connections myself by the way.

Thanks for any input.

cf

Reply to
cf-leeds

In message , cf-leeds writes

Look up tracpipe

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Go for induction. ;-)

I?m pretty sure that there are quite long lengths on unclipped gas pipe under my floors but of course that might not reflect current regulations.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You can't use plastic pipe for gas internally, although there are semi flexible systems like tracpipe that use a corrugated stainless steel pipe with PU jacket over.

John Rumm

Don't Having gone from gas to induction I can say that induction is much more controlable. If power supply is your concern, some induction hobs will run from a 13A socket with the hob controlling the powe used.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

When we had my late mother's bungalow modernised last year, soldered copper pipe was used throughout for the gas supply. Not being flexible, it required much less support than if it were flexible plastic.

I agree those in favour of an induction hob. We had one installed, and I'm very pleased with it: very quick response to change in input power. But you do need pans with magnetisable steel bottoms to respond to the induction. Ordinary Al- or Cu-bottomed pans won't work. Check them with a magnet.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

We had one for about 6 months until I was made redundant and we moved for the new job.

It was well worth buying the new set of pans for. The only thing you can't use is a wok - and for that I use a sauté pan. Flat bottom.

The new kitchen is next on the jobs list, and it will have an induction hob on an island.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Another one for Induction here. We've had one for about 15 years now. (Neff) It's far better than gas.

If you want to do a stir-fry and get jiggly with a pan without scratching the hob top simply put a sheet of kitchen roll between pan base and hob as it's induction and doesn't require direct contact.

As for cleaning, again it's no contest. Induction beats everything.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk
8<

I use an Ikea wok on my induction hob. Its a bit flat in the middle but it works OK.

Reply to
dennis