Gas pipe directly under floor!

I have discovered my gas main runs just under the floor! Now what if someone had drilled through there....

Corgi certified my arse.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

In message , Lieutenant Scott writes

They'll certify anything these days...............

Reply to
Bill

In message , Lieutenant Scott writes

For true death and destruction you need gassafe

Reply to
geoff

Certified lunatic.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Nothing wrong with that. The rules are basically no compression joints (ie soldered) and no plastic pipe (ie iron or copper).

These days there may be additional rules about spacing and protector plates, but I've seen gas pipes under the floor with neither consideration dating back 1-2 decades and put in or passed by CORGI or pre-dating that, the Gas Board.

Reply to
Tim Watts

omeone had drilled through there....

A pity they do not provide a cheap "valve in a hole outside" for such installations (and those with incoming lead gas mains under the stairs).

If the Emergency Control Valve (ECV) is not in an accessible location you can have it moved for free, it is typically =A3905 to have a gas meter flipped the other side of the wall (ie, very little external supply pipe work AND you expose the pipe for them).

If the gas main is lead and in poor condition or festooning between cramps I would actually pay to have it moved, lead does crystallise with age and festooning does not go well with that. Lead piping can be block tin, but I do not think the gas companies used that (somewhat better and much more expensive). Iron can be worse in that it can and does corrode through with a ventilating leak becoming more severe if disturbed nearby.

Nothing to stop you painting a yellow line on the floor re gas.

Reply to
js.b1

Nothing wrong with it?!?!?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

someone had drilled through there....

Not sure which way you're flipping what.

Copper. And it's the metered gas.

On my laminate?!?!?!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

If you can locate the "offence" in the gas regs, be my guest...

Question - if you have to take a pipe othorgonally to the joists, what do you do? You cannot notch the joists half way through their thickness. The best you can do is put a steel plate over the notch or use iron pipe (good luck finding anyone who does that outside of a commercial environment).

It would be nice if you could route the pipe someway that does not require doing this, but it's not always possible.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Why would you be drilling holes in your laminate then?

Reply to
Tim Watts

To puncture the gas pipe, to get some proper hardwood on the insurance.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Nov 12, 9:19=A0pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote: D> Not sure which way you're flipping what.

=A3905 to flip a gas meter from on the inside of an outside wall to the outside of the same wall.

Metered side pipework run under the floor is very common. Better than bare copper run through concrete which has been known to corrode and make things go bang.

Double yellow then... stops too much standing around :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Just be glad you have mains gas where you live. Some of us are not that lucky.

Reply to
Davey

Natural gas, then.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have mine on the outside. Meters on the inside would encourage theft = of supply and I'm surprised they do it. Mind you stealing gas isn't qui= te as safe as stealing electricity!

Mine runs through the concrete to get to the meter outside.

Like I ever obey those lines.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

And a new drill and some plastic surgery.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I might be making pilot holes for screws for a carpet edger.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Irrelevant, the law of common sense has been broken.

Why would you need a notch? Just bolt the pipe on under the joists.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Can't you get a propane tank? They bury them in the garden nowadays.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Oh is THAT why they call it natural? And here was me thinking it came out of the ground. Jeez I'd better fix that leak (screws up face).

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott