under floor drainage pipe

I have an existing (old) 6" salt glaze surface water drain passing below the barn I am re-building.

I have noted a requirement to encase soil pipes under domestic buildings in 6" of concrete. In practice, this usually amounts to the builder putting a few inches on top of the pipe bedded on pea gravel.

I am reaching the point where exposing/re-newing/encasing are most practical and would welcome the group's views. In terms of *future proofing* a small extra effort now may pay off.

Discharge is to a ditch with ample rodding access so my choices seem to be:-

leave well alone.

expose and attempt to concrete encase

replace with a single run of 6" soil piping and cover with concrete. (The join would be outside the building)

or.... what about that Elephant trunk stuff?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I thought that was for plastic pipes...

Seems good!

Good chance of breaking it.

If the original is good, why? Furure drains could be made outside.

?
Reply to
Chris Bacon

My advice with drains is to simply cut a new run outside the building wherever possible, do it to the proper standards and forget ANY pipes that run under.

Sure, a straight run is allowed, but salt glazed pipes can crack...at least plastic has a bit of give..and if you are dong extensive work around old pipes the chances of mild soil movement or worse are high.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably

Tempting. Suppose some future building inspector wants it encased or moved? At the moment, about a foot of soft dig will expose it. 6m length of 160mm plastic and a clay spigot adapter, bit of pea gravel and a few barrow loads of concrete, couple of photos, job done:-)

The question will arise because this not only drains the yard but will also be used to dispose rainwater from a new (to be built) building.

Routing it around the barn is not easy as there are raised beds with brick surrounds in the way.

Good riddance.

I've never bought any. Offcuts come floating down the river. Black ribbed plastic pipe generally used for surface water ducts.

I was hoping for chapter and verse for what is permitted under a possibly future domestic floor.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Not impossible but a seriously big job.

I will install lintels where piping passes the foundations/walls and cover with concrete. There is bound to be some compaction when I roll the flooring hard-core which is why I wondered if the ribbed style piping would be safer.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Are these foul water, or simply storm drains?

If storm drains, then simple plastic pipe in gravel, with rebar over and concrete on top would be fine..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher