Drill press rips out student's hair

"[DELTONA] A Florida school district is investigating whether a teacher violated safety procedures after a student's hair was ripped out by a wood shop machine... Deltona High School senior Kayla Carrera, 17, was in wood shop class when her long brown hair got stuck in a drill press machine."

HeyBub

Had to be the teacher's fault, not the student taking some responsibility for her actions.

Calling 911? Only for life threatening emergencies.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Didn't hafta be, but mighta been.

Not every person is born with an inate knowledge of safety around machines. Humans have been at odds with machines since the first stone hammer hit the first caveman thumb. I thought I had all the saftey bases covered while lathe turning stainless steel until my wise ol' shop forman came up and told me to grind a chip breaker into my turning tool. He told me those long strands of stainless coming off my lathe would cut through my boots and leg flesh like a razor through butter, should I trip and entangle myself. A safety lesson learned before a fall, thank goodness.

The teacher should have warned the girl ...nay, the entire class... of long hair, loose clothing, rings on fingers, etc. After all, not like he hadn't taught a few thousand students including some long haired guys. If he DIDN'T! ....hello unemployment line and likely lawsuit.

OTOH, I find it hard to believe a shop teacher with that long a tenure did NOT warn everyone and preach constant safety all the time. My shop teachers ragged on it endlessly. Signs on every wall, every machine, etc. The mom sounds like a classic golddigger. Hope the teacher is not one of those who is disliked by his entire class and has some friendly pupils to stand up on his behalf. If not, he's screwed. :\

nb

Reply to
notbob

That was my point. First day of class and some additional reinforcement as they progress, safety should be taught.

The teacher may have some percentage of guilt though. With kids, you cannot assume anything and he should be making periodic looks around to check for things like that. We don't know the entire story. Was the girl even supposed to be using that tool? Was her hair tied at start of class, but later let go? Teenagers do things like that.

My impression though, was that the mother blamed everything on the teacher and school, nothing on careless daughter.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

lol....

Reply to
notbob

Watch... Kayla's Law, now requiring hair nets when working with shop equipment.

.

Funny, I do work on network and telecom equipment in retail stores and if I go back into the deli, I am required by law/regulation to put on a hair net. Odd, that the kids in wood shop class aren't subject to "hair control" regulations. Girls in wood shop, boys in home economics, what's this world coming to?! ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And to be fair, everyone must wear them, even boys with a buzz cut.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had a high school shop teacher who was a walking billboard for shop safety since he was missing parts of 4 or 5 fingers, all cut off by accident.:( safety was always stressed in school........

I took a electronics course, a vo tech class. we had some tools like a grinder and drill press......

the teacher who is still my best friend was very happy one day not long after I graduated.....

OSHA came thru the school and prohibited the wearing of ties for safety reasons. up till then ties were REQUIRED for all instructors. my buddy hated wearing a tie and was thrilled at the new rule.. this was sometime after 1975

Reply to
bob haller