Drill press for lathe use?

Is there a device that you can put on a drill press table to allow it to act as a verticle lathe? Something that holds wood on center and spins that attaches to table?

Im considering making some small columns, on order of 6inches tall and need to duplicate 4 of them. I have made small wood topping spindals on a drill press before only attached to chuck. But something like this would require the attachment on both ends I think.

Ultimately I need corner round molding Like sold by Rockler as Create-a-Corner. But when you add up the cost, I might as well by a lathe.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Reply to
trents32

Doug Winterburn

You can check these guys out they have what you want.

House of Tools

Rick Gibson

Drill press bearings aren't made to take a side load...you'll shorten it's life.

Reply to
George

My feeling is that drill presses aren't designed for this use. Also, a vertical tool rest is hardly a "rest" at all, since gravity will try to pull it down while you hold the weight of your arms.

I got a 40" lathe at Harbor Freight for $129. I had to screw some on-edge 2x4s to the bottom to make the bed useable. It's this one, but mine didn't have a stand:

"bed" on the bottom is just folded sheet metal, which is why I had to brace it. My solution fixed the problem completely.

Overall, this lathe has served me well for occasional turnings. The work spins, doesn't wobble, and it's turned with enough force to make aggressive cuts. The tool-rest has worked w/out modification.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

Mike, I bought one of those also and have not used it because of the flex in the bed. Thanks for posting what you did to fix yours. I will try what you did and see how it works out.

William Lee

Reply to
WilleeCue

You're welcome, good luck.