rolling stand for drill press needed

I'm torn between building one or just purchasing one for my Ridgid 15" drill press. Like the idea of building one and want a nice sized footprint so as to reduce the chance of tipping when moving. On the other hand, if I can get a ready-made metal stand with nice 3" locking casters for substantially less than what it will cost me to build . . . well. Am looking at the stands at Rockler and Woodcraft but unsure what will be best.

After I get the press onto wheels I plan to add a small cabinet on the stand.

Ultimately all my tools need to be on wheels so that I can get the cars in the garage and constructing cabinets for the bases will be helpful.

Reply to
Ralph Compton

You might be interested in this weeks posts to the thread "CPOworkshop.com Experience", starting from 1/3/11 I believe. I just posted a picture of a design featuring some clever features, which I don't take any credit for.

A picture of the design I basically decided on appears on my web site:

hope it might be helpful to you as you make your decision. I choose not to use any plywood because I have chemical sensitivities which make me reluctant to use it. YMMV. Good luck and have fun!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

My solution to the same dilemma:

you don't have a welder or access to one the stand can be bolted together. So all you need is a hack saw. :-)

Max

Reply to
Max

I like the concept, think I'll go stare at my DP for a while now!

Reply to
Ralph Compton

I think I would prefer solid lumber too. Gonna go stare at my DP for a while and contemplate.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Compton

On mine I added the new base on top of the factory base for a better top surface for a future cabinet. I glued 2 pieces of 3/4 ply together and cut it about 6" wider and longer than the DP base. I sawed out a hole to accommodate the post and bolted it on top of the base. The new base is flush with the front of the old base and hangs out 6" in the rear. It doesn't stick out any further than the motor and really helps the tendency of the DP to tip backwards. It also keeps the DP at close to the original height for us under 6'. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Good Point, I'm under 6' and was wondering if the additional 4+" of height would be awkward.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Compton