OT: Microwave cooking

Yes, I have seen it happen in my old microwave. Looks perfectly still until you cause a vibration and then it erupts.

Reply to
dennis

You've admitted the reduction in power is from your bimetallic timer?

Do you accept that the timer would be effectively inoperative for 100% power for most microwave use?

Is this beyond your limit of understanding?

Reply to
Fredxx

I spotted the arcing in time. No discernable damage. Interesting display.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Surely you'd use a plastic teaspoon.

Reply to
Max Demian

I tend to remove and give things a stir. Often things benefit from / need a 'rest' time so it works well.

We've been using a uWave since about 1980, our first one was a basic Tricity beast that went to the tip, tatty, but still working after about

17 years. None of the later ones have lasted as long- yet.
Reply to
Brian Reay

Yup it acts a s nucleation point so the liquid can't easily super heat beyond boiling point...

Reply to
John Rumm

No, that is beyond your limits?

Reply to
dennis

I use a stainless one.

Reply to
dennis

You do know that some pillock from diywanker will reply to this in 7 years time.

Reply to
ARW

We seem to covered little ground since some idiot said, "Most/many microwave ovens give out less heat the longer they cook".

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes, I'm not convinced microwaves give out heat.

Reply to
whisky-dave

12.5mm is close to 1/2" and why it may have been used as a starting point. Being a left brainer means you don't do any of this human stuff do you. ;-(

Again, very understandable (at all levels) to anyone other than TNP's pet goblin.

It's 'very understandable' in the same way as accepting that 48:52 in no way indicates the 'will of the people' but would be perfectly reasonable in determining who 'won' a rugby match.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

What do you mean by who won ? Was it chelsea or those that were in the team called chelsea and was it everyone in the chelsea team ?

Did England win the world cup in 1966 or was it just those that played.

How could England have won when such a small percentage of the country were on the pitch let alone scored the goals.

How many people played on that day out of the 50 odd million in the UK and of those how many were English ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

They do. The transformer & magnetron are air cooled, and that nearly 50% of power input is blown into the cooking cavity as heat. However it doesn't h ave a lot of effect compared to the microwave energy, as little of it is ab sorbed by the food. And fwliw the amount of heat given out increases with c ooking time as the transformer gets ever hotter.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

of power input is blown into the cooking cavity as heat. However it doesn't have a lot of effect compared to the microwave energy, as little of it is absorbed by the food. And fwliw the amount of heat given out increases with cooking time as the transformer gets ever hotter.

I was saying that microwaves don;t give out heat, they don't. I wasn't refering to microwave ovens or the cable which will alos rise in t emprature due to current flowing.

Reply to
whisky-dave

% of power input is blown into the cooking cavity as heat. However it doesn 't have a lot of effect compared to the microwave energy, as little of it i s absorbed by the food. And fwliw the amount of heat given out increases wi th cooking time as the transformer gets ever hotter.

temprature due to current flowing.

Microwaves do give out or turn to heat in the food, that's the whole princi ple on which microwave ovens work.

Details details.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

50% of power input is blown into the cooking cavity as heat. However it doe sn't have a lot of effect compared to the microwave energy, as little of it is absorbed by the food. And fwliw the amount of heat given out increases with cooking time as the transformer gets ever hotter.

in temprature due to current flowing.

ciple on which microwave ovens work.

No they do not.

The microwaves are reflected within the metal interior of the oven where th ey are absorbed by food. Microwaves cause water molecules in food to vibrat e, producing heat that cooks the food.

Microwaves are part of the electromagnetic spectrum they are not hot. They are no hotter than radia waves or lightwaves.

Reply to
whisky-dave

are they powered by a triac too?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The amount of vibration is down to temperature. Microwaves are absorbed through dielectric absorption.

If you are willing to say that microwaves cause water molecules to 'vibrate', that's very much like saying microwaves heat food. Which is probably what Pussy was trying to say.

It is generally said that photons do not have a 'temperature'.

Reply to
Fredxx

he's just trolling. There's nothing mysterious about how microwaves work.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr