OT Irish Border

You might ask - if this is the case - why the UK government don't take action to enforce EU quotas?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That?s dishonest. When they are cheaper, the UK has to print less money.

Reply to
BillD

Under the EU system it isn?t the UK that gets to enforce quotas.

Reply to
BillD

More bollocks from Dave, I see. There are no "controls on imports". There may be things that affect how much gets imported, such as EU tariffs, customs duties.

When we leave and can set our own tariffs, duties, etc, the market will adjust where it takes imports from, and the government can then control that to the UK's benefit.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Were our MEPs raising this problem at every opportunity, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You don't consider tariffs or duty etc controls on imports, then?

Have you been hitting the Xmas brandy early?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

No point in the MEPs doing that because the EC isn?t accountable to the EP in the way the UK parliament is to MPs.

Reply to
BillD

Like everything else the Brexit morons have faied to grasp that the 39 Billion isn't a divorce settlement.

It was painful to see the total lack of understanding the Brexiters and even their MP's had when it came to the EU.

One "sobering thought" for the idiots, it that they may also wish to contemplate why the EU should want to factor in customs and transport problems to ship car parts to and from the UK if there is no deal. Having been present at Cowley when a worker in the paint shop was "educated" I have little doubt that any European backwater could provide a workforce equal to Britains.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

As a point of interest its not the IRISh border, Its the UK border that is causing trouble, But why bother with the truth. Blame it on Paddy

Reply to
fred

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

MEPs are a complete waste of time.

Reply to
bert

And did your MEP include anything in their manifesto about fishing - oh no they don't have manifestos because they don't decide anything.

Reply to
bert

No, it is the Irish border that is the problem. UK has said it wont make a hard border. EU insists that Irelannd does

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

MEPS have no power to raise problems unless it finds them in legislation is is asked to rubber stamp.

MEPS are an elected 'House of Lords' There is no 'House of Commons' there are just unelected bureaucrats.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

what you're saying is you want control over our borders - one of the things much spouted by Brexiteers - but don't want the same to apply to other countries?

And you wonder why I think most Brexiteers irrational, at best.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Let the EU pay for it, then. And the upkeep and running of it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

We want control over our borders, and control includes specifying that we like the Irish, but not the French.

Reply to
William Gothberg

And the doomed dimwit rattled the stick in the pigswill once again.

Mexico will pay for any EU borders, you moron.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

It's Paddy causing the problem.

Reply to
harry

yes

but they are just a price leverage mechanism

the idea that you have that if that price leverage mechanism is adjusted downwards people suddenly go out and spend money that they don't have, buying more of something that they can't actually use (i.e. more food than they can eat) is just nonsensical

tim

Reply to
tim...

No I don't want that at all

I couldn't give a toss what the Irish do with their own border

it's the Irish who are insisting that we do something to meet their requirements, that's the problem here

tim

Reply to
tim...