Maximum Fines - Dumping?

Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social dumping of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In some locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to lamp posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine £5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine £5000'?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

No, because the fine can be less than £5000 with say an empty beer can.

Reply to
Tim J

And there's a problem, and I have a solution.

Lets have dual fines system.

For a dropped tin can, Maximum fine £5000. Let's call that 'manslaughter' as it can be done quite accidentally, or by idiots.

For a dumped sofa, Minimum fine £5000. Done with intent. Call it 'murder' (of the environment).

I'm in town all week, try the fish.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Souds like an invitation to anyone with a very large amount to get rid of. The trouble with this society today is that crime pays.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In the small print...

"per item"

Reply to
Bob Eager

Who knows, but the organised crime bosses will take no notice with their forged documents they give to people to allow them to trade with unwitting commercial companies, knowing full well that they will never be caught and the fine will end up being paid by the unsuspecting punter who used them. I'm sure yu heard the Radio 4 documentary about how lucrative commercial waste fly tipping now. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Round here every time they put up a no tipping sign it just seems to generate more fly tipping. Seems the no tipping signs simply point out to the fly tippers the best tipping places and the stupid council blusters about the problem but will not put up CCTV to catch the criminals.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I expect the crims see the signs as an admission of failure and a chance to stick a finger up to the authorities.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You can 'impose' any penalty you want for anything. It will only act as a deterrent if there is a very real chance of getting caught. Which would mean serious amounts of money being spent enforcing that law. Not something we generally do in this country for such things. The more obvious one being illegal drugs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It cost me 25 quid plus 7 quid diesel to hire a van and take a skipload (=£400) to the council dump yesterday

OK it took an hour to unload it at the far end, but thats the only other cost involved

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now. I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held responsible if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it wasn't them who dumped it.

This is intended to make it less attractive to use an unlicensed waste disposal company, who just go and dump the waste in a quiet road somewhere.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Is there any chance you can set your newsreader to obey the original character encoding set or use UTF8 like everyone else?

just doesnt cut it these days

As you can see it barfs on UTF 8 '£'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How much did the Council charge you?

Reply to
charles

Hasn't that always been the case, as they can find who's waste it is if yuo put yuor postcode in UV pen we were all told to do so the police could ID things if nicked.,

I'm sure this was the case years ago, it's been on those consumer programmes since Esther Rantzen first mentioned it.

But how do you tell a licensed from unlicensed was the problem, similar to the recent gas safe farce.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Good luck finding out who that mattress belonged to. DNA testing?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nothing.

They even helped unlaoad some of it.

It was houysehgild rubbish, not (mucvh) bulding rubbish

Old duvets, bits of MDF and chip, scrap metal - steel aluminium and copper - a TV two PC chassis a dishwasher, plastiocs and general crap too big to fit in a bin. Soem hardened cement and a tub of 18 year old butyl glazing putty.

There might have been a small bit of plasterboard wrapped up in an old duvet :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Any waste that leaves this house, even in the council bin, had identifying stuff removed just in case.

Reply to
Bob Eager

But would they really just dump a matress, I doubt I'd get in a dumper just for one item. Most people who want to get rid of crap have mmutiple items.

Reply to
whisky-dave

here, in Surrey, anyhing in a commercial vehicle has to be weighted and charged for. That's why we get so much flytipping.

Reply to
charles

Lots seem to. Council here charges 18 quid to collect it. Of course you can always buy from a high price seller who takes the old one away.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)