Maximum Fines - Dumping?

Same here - although you can make an arrangement with the council for a one off feebie using a hired or whatever van.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's one way around it, and if you want fly tipping to continue... Last time 9 years ago I had someone around I said oh my stuff is UV marked so it can be traced back to me, which I wouldn't have cared as I'd used my webcam to record the collection.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The best way is to take it in your car in dribs and drabs on shopping trips. ie, don't let it build up. Zero cost.

Reply to
harry
<snip>

Like with some rubbish (say tissue) you have taken the trouble to put in your pocket to take home and it accidentally comes out unnoticed when you pull out your car keys? Or the £5/10 notes that ping out your pocket when pulling out some receipts (money is hardly something you would be 'throwing away').

I'm not sure there is anyone that stupid.

Agreed and a minimum number of compulsory community service hours clearing up fly tips / rubbish (no option to buy your way out of it).

We went to a container based storage place yesterday and they have a points system for various misdemeanour. Not getting out (the gates) by the allotted time, one point. Being discourteous to any other customers or staff, one point. Spitting, two point. 7 points and you are out. Trying to befriend the guard dog outside hours comes with its own penalty. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not sure what ours does, but being near a brook and on a quite corner mattresses often get dumped well Of 3 or 4 a year, but someone comes and takes them away one of those high sided van things. I passed such a van a few weeks ago at about 2am as I passed two foses jumped out and scampered off, gave me quite a shock.

Here's a picture that was dumped less that 200 metres from my place.

I see people dumping things along the road from time to time late and night , as there's lots of flats and people coming and going I ignore it. The last was a couple that were dressed from the 50s with a scarf headress thing or they could have been romanian going by their accent. The indians/asians that refurbed the flat below me dumped some stuff out the front it was there for nearly 4 weeks, old brown furniture mostly with broken doors, and then one day it all disapeared.

I think the council come alone from time to time and just collect stuff I see the van thing with it amber lights drive past a coupe of times a week.

Yes and I believe that is better for the enviorment and that is what I;d probbley do as I need a new fridge and freezer next year, I'll buy from a place that will take my old ones back. I'm not going to take mine to the brook and dump them there like you probbaly would.

AO.com charge about £20, I'd pay that but I;d check local shops and argos too. I'll check to see what the coincil charge too, but it can take them a week or more and I'd prefer it out of the way they day I dispose of them.

Reply to
whisky-dave

JL will take away, but make a charge.

Reply to
charles

They've built the sites very carefully. No back way in.

Reply to
charles

Last few mattresses I took down the tip in the back of the car.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My council charges around £5.50 per item (single or double mattress).

However around my way what seems to be happening more and more is that overnight a mattress, 3 piece suite, wardrobe etc. will appear dumped on the pavement on a main road, often blocking the pavement. No longer do the fly tippers need to use a secluded spot. The council usually remove such items quickly.

Reply to
alan_m

Reply to
alan_m

In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> writes

My experience with Curry's, who would have charged more than the council to remove the old washing machine, was that the men delivering the new machine offered to take the old one away for a fiver.

So we didn't bother the council.

Reply to
Bill

Hampshire have a fairly sensible policy for those that have a vehicle that could fall under commercial vehicle rules rather than a strict ? All Vans must be carrying commercial? attitude. So someone like an electrician who has private use of a vehicle and wishes to use it to carry their own domestic waste can apply for a permit for 12 visits a year . Staff can spot check what is unloaded is domestic waste and not work waste being sneaked through, abusers of the system lose the permit .

The policy on hired vans is quite sensible as well . If you have hired a van to take a load of domestic rubbish say after a large house and garden tidy up they will allow the van in if the hire documents show it is for less than 3 days hire. Some items like plaster board are chargeable but that applies whatever vehicle is used.

GH

Reply to
Marland
<snip>

Ours has a similar plan that also includes the use of trailers.

Before that came in BIL turned up with his old fence on his small truck and they trued to send him away as it was 'commercial'. He explained that the waste was from his own house and he didn't see the point of trying to get it on / in his car when he could use his truck. He offered for them to come and visit his house and explained that in spite of him being a local builder for 50+ years, had never used that site for commercial waste.

They were adamant that he wasn't going to use their facilities so he gave them an ultimatum. He said he could either put the stuff in the proper skip *or*, just give them his name and number (for the Council / Police etc) and tip the load where the truck stood, for them to clear up.

They let him put the stuff in the right skip. ;-)

I can see the logic of restricting 'commercial waste' but there are limits. He could just as easily tipped the load down a county lane.

Now with the permit system, it's a lot easier.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

As does the Hampshire one but I was trying to be brief . There is a size mentioned on the link I gave where the rule kicks in so a householder who is using one of those smallish un braked ones that many people have for garden cuttings etc do not need the permit. One site won?t take the larger trailers even with a permit due to lack of manoeuvring room.

GH

Reply to
Marland

My local (newish) facility has a very narrow tight turn on the driveway. You'd never get round that with a big trailer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)