Thinking of putting up second fence

Paint your side white.

Reply to
Ulysses

YOUR side is on YOUR property. Paint it any color you like.

A second fence would be unnecessary, as you already have one there. And trash and leaves would get caught there. It would be a booger to paint.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

After it thaws throughly. WTH is a frost fence?

Reply to
G Henslee

Unfortunately, painting one side of a chain-link fence does not sound practical...

I would not put up a second fence, though. What he did definitely sounds rude, but putting up a second fence will only hurt you in the long run. Maintenance would be a real pain.

It does seem rather odd that his fence is directly down the property line. Isn't some sort of set-back distance usually required? Make sure you check any local regulations about fence height and distance away from property lines, if you do decide to go with a second fence.

Gray/white/brown is actually not a bad combination... I would let it go, if I were you. It's not worth the aggravation.

Good luck.

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

Chain link w/ plastic privacy slats? If you paint it you'll have to repaint it over the years.

Reply to
G Henslee

Er, did I piss you off somehow?

It wouldn't be the first time a fence was moved. I actually asked because one of my co-workers was recently complaining that his township made him tear down his fence because it was too close to the sidewalk and six inches too high.

Sorry to offend. (?)

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

Possibly but not likely. Some folks like to put up their fence a little inside the property line, and "damn the neighbor". Common fences are built on the line. Or what is believed to be the line in some cases. it's nice and prefered I suppose when a common fence is commonly acceptable to both neighbors.

That's my job. He just takes out his frustration on everyone else.

Reply to
G Henslee

Well, in that case, just get some of those cheesy strips that go in chain link. Make a modern design.

When he asks, just say he didn't ask you before he did the chainlink. You figgered you didn't have to ask before doing the beautification.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Great solution! I like :) That would be a great way to hide a chain link fence, too, if there's room.

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

If there's no room for trees plant soem type of vines against it.

Reply to
G Henslee

Hi

I just bought a new home in a new Development. I moved in 1 month before my neighbor on the right moved in. When I found out that the neighbors moving in owned a fencing company I decided to wait for their home to be finished building and for them to move in before putting up a fence. I thought once they moved in we can discuss and talk what kind and color fence to put between our homes. Once they moved in we talked for about 5 minutes about what kind of a fence and color.

Now my house is Light gray brick in the front and white siding and his brown brick and brown siding. He decided on putting up a frost or wired fence. but he chose brown for it. For my house I think white would go perfectly. anyhow I mentioned to him why not black this way it will go with his home and mine since black would match his brown house too.

Anyhow not 3 days later I left for work and he put up his brown fence anyways. I called my kids at home and told them to pass the phone to them and told them I would not pay them anything for the fence since the color was not what I wanted. He said fine don't worry about it.

I was and still am pissed. He put the fence right on the line of our land. My question is has anyone seen 2 fences side by side ?

I am planning on putting up my own fence on every side of me now. No more Mr. nice guy anymore. People have said to me its his house he can do whatever he wants so therefore I am going do whatever I want too.

SO question is has anyone seen 2 fences side by side and does it look stupid ? I was thinking of putting a wood fence 5 foot high with a mesh of a foot on top for a total of 6 feet. his fence is 5 foot tall. This way he will have his nice brown fence that matches his home and then see my wooden mesh of a foot above it.

I am not at war with him. I smile and talk very polite with him. But wait till he sees what I'm goning to install and i'm going to do it when he is at work to.

Anyhow I would like to hear your opinions on this situation. and if anybody else has been in this situation and what did they do.

thanks very much

joeway

Reply to
giga

If this is the stuff of which you're willing to create a neighbor-war over, heaven help if something critical were to happen...

Chill, man, fer gosh sakes...it just ain't that bigga' deal. :(

imo, ymmv, $0.02(US), etc., .... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

IMO, no future in it. I've seen parallel fences, and they are always the result of a fence-war up until someone violates a code and then all hell really breaks out.

Have a brewski and go relax; enjoy your yard, relax, maybe invite him over for a brew too.

If yo can't make that work, there's always "keep your friends close but your enemies closer". It works.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

And what the h is going to happen when you paint a fence he paid for???? If it's what I think, you'll never be able to to it so it doesn't show through on his side, too...

You seem bent on making sure you never get along w/ this guy imo...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

That's just Dougie, Jennifer... :(

You're entirely right and if the OP really wants to be a prick about the deal, that's he's recourse (if there is one) to make the other guy go to a lot of trouble (over, imo, nothing). But, if he (OP) is so upset as it sounds like, his choices as I see it are either a) do nothing and seethe eventually suffering ulcers and a heart attack, b) check on zoning/subdivision requirements and see if he can start a war legally, or c) grow up and "live and let live".

He taked to the guy for "5 minutes about fence and color" and expected that to have become a binding contract? With that description of the conversation I doubt he even couched it in a form the other guy thought was anything more than a "What ya' goin' do, eh?" kind of thing, what less a formal request for a cooperative arrangement.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I agree with what you guys a are saying.

But for me it's the principle. Why should he get his nice fence to match his home? We paid good money for our homes (still paying for the home lol). He should have been a decent man and talked to me about it. What bothers me is I could have put mine up before he moved in. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt and said ok lets wait for him and see what happens.

Another thing I didn't mention is I'm up in Canada in the province of Quebec where French is predominate language. I'm English and he is French so maybe he feels this is his Province so he thinks he has more right to his own fence than I did :)

But I do understand what you guys are saying. but you don't what it feels like till you have it done to you.

Joeway

Reply to
giga

Its a frost fence Can we paint it?

Reply to
giga

lol its the chicken fence (chain link fence) they call it frost here

Reply to
giga

If you can get by losing a few feet of usable yard there,you might consider planting some evergreens in front of that fence. If you do it yourself it probably would cost about the same or less than a professionally erected second fence.

That's what I did last year when my next door neighbor's contractors put in a functional but very messy looking "rock facing" that I had to look at ... but my neighbor didn't. See:

As I was finishing up my digging and planting, the neighbor came over and insisted on paying for the evergreens. I told him it would be hypocritical of me to take his money because I have always said that as far as "looks" go my rights end at my property line and that if I don't like what I see it's my job to screen it out.

He persisted in offering, so I let him write a nice check to a worthy local charity we support and everyone felt good.

It's a year later and those evergreens are almost touching each other now and have increased enough in height so they effectively block off our view of that mess.

Hope you can work something out too.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:36:52 -0400 "giga" posted:

A bitter lesson. A friend of mine who was in law school got a summer job at a court in Staten Island. He said many people had never owned their own home before, nor their parents, because they grew up in apartments in Brooklyn and NY. So there would be a lot of fights over property, each man thinking owning his house made him a king. The best example were the two who shared a driveway, but had separate garages. That's obviously effecient and prevents there being as much pavement as with 2 driveways.

There was a feud, and one guy built a fence, just on his side of the property line, down the driveway.

Of course that is not legal because the other guy has an easement to use the driveway. That's not like your situation. But the first guy had to pay for the fence, and then pay to take it away.

You're laughing. I thought you were serious.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman