Thinking of putting up second fence

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:36:52 -0400 "giga" posted:

BTW, there is at least one other principle applicable:

"It's my house and I don't have to agree with this other guy on color.

Application:

"I don't want black. Contrary to what he thinks it doesn't match both. It matches neither. (If anything black goes with grey a lot better than it goes with brown, but this selfish guy wants black.) I don't want white either. Rather than fight with him, which won't be productive, I'll just put in my fence."

Now I would have preferred a No myself. I'd rather a girl said she didn't want to go out than let me call over and over and be ignored. I think it shows moral inferiority that so many girls behaved this second way. But so many people do it that way, I'm sure plenty people think it is morally acceptable, even morally preferable. Many children are taught that this is the way to handle disagreements. To avoid them. (By not discussing this with you. Beyond the 5 minutes.)

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:25:11 GMT "Edwin Pawlowski" posted:

He needs help now. Maybe he can get this guy to buy his new fence for him at the employee discount. Yes, OP, you won't be able to complain anymore, but you'll probably save a lot of money. (Although get prices elsewhere and at his place as if you weren't getting a discount, so you'll know if and how much you are.)

He doesn't really *need* help, but this is the one and maybe the only thing the next door neigbhor can do for the OP that will really benefit the OP and won't cost the neighbor anything, I would think.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 28 Jul 2005 14:03:52 -0700 "Jennifer" posted:

I agree. The paint will be pushed around and run down over parts of his side and his side will look terrible. The other guy's side. It will be vandalism without permission, preferably signed. And a painted fence will require repainting. Doesn't this brown fence have the color well stuck to the fence?

I don't know if that is true, but I also woudn't assume the OP is right that it is on the property line. It could be a quarter inch on his side. Another reason not to paint it without his permission.

Now that yoe mention it, I agree. And brown always goes with hte outside, becuase the dirt is brown. Brown and green are my favorite house colors, inside and out.

My inclination was to want the white fence, because he wanted it, but if I were in his shoes, I realize now that I would get brown, in fact the exact same fence that the neighbor put up, because I think it is more important that the fencees match than that the fence sort of match the house.

I made sure that my next door neighbor got roofs at the same time from the same guy, same color, no seam down the middle; and now that he wants vinyl siding, I'm considering getting it too so the houses will still match (and I'm a little tired of painting.)

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Be prepared to spend lots of time in between the two fences, dealing with the forest of weeds that'll grow there. They'll grow through both fences, too. A real pain in the ass.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yes, you may not want to admit it, but putting up a spite fence is war.

He paid for it, get over it and move on. Some day you may need help from a neighbor. You just never know. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:31:44 -0400 "giga" posted:

Cool.

Yes, and it looks stupid. When they find out you put up the second one, you'll look stupid.

If there is no HOA, yes. And even if there is a HOA, he doesn't have to use your preferred color, unless his is against the rules.

How are you going to mow the lawn between the two?

So you are at war with him. You're just diplomatic when you see him in person. Diplomacy is war by other means.

Anyone who works for a fence company knows what kind of fence he wants before he even sees his next house, and certainly as soon as he sees it. He doesn't have to wait to move in to know.

I've seen quite a few townhouses or doubles (side by side duplexes) where they were originally built the same, but they put roofs on separately, in different colors even, they put different siding on, or paint the entire house different colors. That's worse than a fence. (Is this fence in the front yard or back?)

In fact, that's the reason townhouses now are built with all adjecent houses different colors. Because when n'hhood were all the same color, the neighbors would on purpose or for laziness paint or trim with different colors. So some would be the same and some would be different and it looked terrible. Now they are all different, so it doesn't look bad when a given pair doesn't match.

So far my strip is ok, with everything russet brown, but at the top of the hill, where it was supposed to be harvest gold or something, a half a dozen people bought paint without finding out where they were supposed to buy it, got the wrong colors, and that strip looks terrible. I sort of like it better when the houses are all the same color, but having them all different colors is insurance against what happened at the top of my hill.

If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't want black. (Actually my preferred finish is no finish, and that's all that's permitted where I live. I should have checked in advance that that was a rule, but I did notice at least that any fences were unfinished. I wouldn't even have a fence but I'm at the end of a group, and everyone took shortcuts across my yard when the previous owner owned it. He put in the fence, but I probably would have too.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:18:29 -0500 Duane Bozarth posted:

If he had to move the fence, there isn't a chance in hell the new one would be a different color from this one. In fact it probably would be this one, but maybe not, for one reason only. The man *owns* the fence company.

In fact, if he had to move it, he would likely write it up as a mistake of the fence company, or of the owner, which the fence company chooses to fix for free, and that way it would be a deductible business expense, and if there is a corporate income tax in Quebec, the cost would be deductible from the gross profit of the company. I don't think that would even be improper.

I agree.

Very good point. Maybe he wasn't avoiding an argument so much as he thought there was nothing to argue about. He's thinking: "the other guy seems to like black, but it doesn't seem that important to him. .... No, I definitely don't want black. We'll go with brown like I've wanted from the beginning."

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

A great answer and a great story.

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:35:39 -0400 Jeff Wisnia posted:

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Simple solution: Plant vines that will attack the fence.

Kudzoo is good.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

What he gonna do, Jennifer? Make the neighbor move it? This mess is carved on stone. Or, concrete, to be precise.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

No, not at all? I'm still in "argue with my home office" mode. Sorry. :-)

I don't know if they need to get building permits in Quebec. If yes, it seems unlikely that the inspector would not have looked at the survey.

This is all conjecture, obviously. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

hmmm, a "Fence War" between a disgruntled homeowner and a Fencing contractor. Sounds like the plot for a new reality TV show! Lemme grab my chair and a few beers to watch this one! When the fences get to about 12 ft. high and all sorts of obnoxious colors, a winner could be crowned.... hmmm, what's the Fox Channel phone number?

Seriously, another option you may consider, one which I don't prefer myself, is to weave those filler panels into the fence. They're strips of thin metal that you weave into it. You could even paint your side your color and his side could be painted his color. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

+++++++++++++ Its his Fence and his money...

We paid good money for our homes (still paying for the home lol).

++++++++++++ We all did.. and most of us are still paying also
++++++++++++ Honestly did you wait because you were praying he would even want a fence , and if so would he split the cost with you

If you want to get even...then just mow your lawn about 2 foor short of "his" fence"....by midsummer the fence will be hidden...

Seriously....not much you can do about it...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

LOL

The guy asks for you people to give opinions and you guys tell him forget it about it ..invite the guy in to bang your wife. lol are you guys spineless wimps or what.

A mans home is his castle. If joeway wants to build a second fence then build it man. show this fool he can't mess with you and screw him up.

Big deal if he owns a fence company, I'm a p*rn star this doesn't give me the right to go and bang the guys next door wife.

I say build that second fence and teach the prick a lesson. Make sure you put that foot higher than his fence and make sure he sees his side a nice light green to go with brown fence.

Anyhow let me know what you decide but don't listen to these want be saints. I bet they are the ones who build their fences without talking to their neighbors too.

Peace out

Reply to
rover

Pick your battles carefully. This isn't one of them, and is not worth the bad blood between neighbors. Just view it as a free fence, to hell with the color. Grow something on it, and make it green. It is on *your* property, and you have the right to do anything if it is truly on the line, as parts of it must fall on your side, eg, half the posts.. And chill out.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

Yea man! Build that fence! That'll teach'em! Show him who's boss. One foot higher -- ha! Take that. And not brown either -- WOOD -- that'll just set the french bas**rd right. Thinkin he owns the whole damn province. Next thing you know he'll be trying to put up his damn brown fences around the whole territory, trying to keep us English guys out. But no, you'll show him. Man, I can just see it. He'll just be sitting over eating his fromage thinking, "damn, thought I had that guy right where I wanted him -- all cornered in by a brown fence -- then he goes and builds a WOOD fence. And on ALL SIDES too. Man he's tough. And I though he was some kind of nice guy -- talks to me so nice an all -- then I come home and BAM, he's got his OWN fence now." Yea. Build that second fence. Hell, why dont you build TWO fences, and really show him you mean business. Hell, if it were me, I'd start putting up steel roll shutters on my windows, and bricking over my doors. Guy wouldn't know what hit him. Smack! Us english, we can wall ourselves in bettern than a frenchman any day.

Reply to
kevin

I'm not sure why you've chosen to be offended by your neighbour's decisions. Was it because he installed a fence that didn't exactly meet your expectations at a time which didn't exactly meet your expectations? Then you ask thousands of strangers for advice on building a spite fence. Then you say you smile and talk politely with him (on one side of your face) while plotting your ugly revenge (on the other side of your face).

Perhaps your neighour sensed some >Hi

Reply to
Grown up

OKkkayyy - you got a free fence, for the 'cost' of not having the designer color you wanted. He didn't want to deal with the hassle over color, and decided to pay for it all.

(Black fence?? I don't even think I've ever seen a black fence...)

Yes. We have a pair like that on our block.

Well, OK - the mesh (not sure what you mean by 'mesh' - a lattice top?) may be a bit 'in the face' to your neighbor about your fence dispute, but, Okkaay - it's your house too.

What the pair of fences in my neighbohood say is "we don't like each other".

Does your local laws allow you to paint your side of the fence? Look into that...

Banty

Reply to
Banty