Thinking of putting up second fence

Yeah, he sounds like the neighbor from hell, a total ass. His neighbor even didn't make him pay for his half of the fence. If he can get so wrapped around the axle on such a minor point I am glad I don't live next to him, I'd probably wrap a 2x4 around his head before long.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Now wait.

From *his* POV, he can look at it as, you're not putting up a fence, sitting back and seeing if *he'll* do the expense. He could view it as being passive-aggressive on *your* part.

Then - you come over and offer to pay half, but only if you get to pick *your* color. Yes - your color - it's not so obvious that a fence has to 'go with' the house color, or that brown doesn't go with your house color, or that black goes with both house colors...

So, faced with what he may view as *your* posing and plotting to get what you want, he thinks "heck, whatever, I'm done with this guy next door and his games, I'll put up my fence, I'll pay for it".

Sounds like the two of y'all weren't going to come to an agreement anyway, so he did his own thing. What else was he supposed to do

Um - I'm pretty sure most folks here live in neighborhoods have had experience with the various compromises and give and takes and sometimes lose that life brings in a community where people live together.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I wouldn't call it rude. He was faced with someone insisting on the fence being his way - he disagreed. What was he to do?

My town allows a fence on the property line.

Right.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Now whoever decided to make the houses different in the first place is very wise. Makes a livable plan that allows for human beings, exhibiting actual human behavior, to live together. It's the approach that everyone is supposed to be lock-step that doesn't work.

(And what the Sam Hill is the horribly worng thing with differentiating two attached houses in the first place??)

Looks terrible how?

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I'd bet pretty good money that a fencing contractor by trade would know enough to check with the town ordinances (or whatever governing body applies) as to what the fencing requirements and restrictions are.

In my town, we're allowed to fence on the property line.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Depending on what you were planning to put there, maybe put in a white trellis that runs the length and as high as the fence. Then plant rosebushes and other vine like plants

It will look white enough to blend and doing it that way you can avoid an outright fence war.

kubie

Reply to
c_kubie

Um - what's changed is that there is now a fence. Your neighbor gets no benefit from a fence behind it. (Although he may get some amusement...)

*He* doesn't know for sure that you waited just to save money. *You* offered to pay half, but only if you could get the color you wanted. He decided "no deal".

Wow. Calm down.

Yes, you could have put in a fence, all painted white, or black, or whatever. You didn't. Life's like that - the crystal ball hasn't been perfected. But, a little life-experience should have informed you that whoever your neighbor would be, he or she may or may not sign up to your color preferences.

It's a brown fence. Like 90% of the fences around here. White and brown seems reasonable to me. It's not purple polka-dot. It's brown.

Wow. And you're going to now try to convince me your'e the reasonable neighbor.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

?? How is black meeting in the middle.

It still boils down to: You want black. He want brown.

Even if you would have rather gone for white, it's still your idea of the fence color. Black was *your* idea. Only in your head is it "meeting in the middle".

Maybe the neighbor could tell you were the type to fly off the handle like this, and decided that working things out iwth you wasn't going to work out in the long run anyway.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Ok, there's the problem.

But seriously: Instead of a 2nd fence, how about some shrubbery? Something that would grow as high as the fence and look nice and at the same time screen his fence from your view.

Reply to
Vic Dura

Just for your information i dont give a rats ass that i didnt pay for the fence.

If you feel all joyous and gleeful when you save 500.00$ by not paying for half then thats you poor man.

Explain to me now why if i put my fence up meaning i do just like he did right? Why am i wrong and asking for a war? He put his fence up without consenting me so why can't i do the same without conceting him. Oh yea i will just tell him you got a free second fence since i dont want you to pay me half for it. I waited for him to move in not to save money but to be a good neighbour and maybe do it in a cival way. you people don't understand the principle do you? He just f***ed me ...i could have put up my own before he moved in very easily but i ddint out of respect for my future neighbour but hey what i did was bend over and take it deep in the ass for trying to be a nice guy.

This isnt a a yard to keep horses in its a small 55 feet 50 feet yard we are close to each others homes. so therefor his brown fence is 8 feet from my white home. looks great for his home though since his side is brown. So again why does he get the matching fence with his house and i don't ? then again why can't i do the same so it looks good for me and put up my own fence?

OH YEA I REMEBER CAUSE I DIDNT PAY FOR IT HAHA. OK NOW I FEEL MUCH BETTER. I CAN GET BACK TO JERKING OFF ON THE MONEY I SAVED FROM NOT PAYING FOR HIS GOD UGLY BROWN FENCE AND INVITE HIM OVER TO HAVE BEERS. LOL

Then after thats done i grab a 4x4 and instead of wrapping it around your neck i shove it up your ass.

joeway

Reply to
giga

Exactly

And him being a fencing contractor, he knows very well that if he came along and put up his fence I would be screwed right?

The fact that the whole neighborhood around me when with a black wired fence and he came in and put up a brown wired fence shows he already knew what he wanted.

I didn't insist on anything or color. I simply thought we could talk about it like good neighbors do and come up with a medium or compromise. Like I said in my original post brown wired fence would go great with his house and white would have gone great with mine. So why not meet in the middle and go black? it would have gone well with both.

I don't understand why you all are telling me to kiss his ass and forget about it. He is the one who done wrong. If anything he deserves me putting up a second fence and then asking me why did you do that? I tell him I did like you son ...I put my own and didn't ask you about it and hey your are getting a free second fence that you don't have to pay me like I didn't pay you for yours.

anyhow I don't see why you guys don't see the logic in this except for the he f***ed you first and he didn't make you pay for it so now be a good sport and go sit in the corner and drink your beer .

anyhow my 2 cents again.

joeway

Reply to
giga

You damn right it's cause he is French lol

Yea thats an Option but i dont like shrubs too much. but thats definately and option. Honestly if it wasn't for of the middle maintenance of 2 fences this would be option number 1 for sure lol

joeway

Reply to
giga

OK - let's list some of your assumptions. I think the key to this is that you're thinking that your assumptions, concerning fences, color matching, house colors, and, um, a couple of other things, are obvious and shared by everyone around you.

  1. That fences have to 'match' the house color.
  2. That brown goes with brown stuff.
  3. That white goes with white and grey stuff.
  4. That black goes with both brown and white. (frankly, this one is the one that most gets me scratching my head - ever consider that this isn't so obvious to Mr. Frenchy-next-door either?)
  5. That everyone around you would know that you waited on putting a fence in, not to get it half paid for, but to work something out
  6. That a certain poster to alt.home.repair with the net-name "Banty" has a wife, or is even of such a gender to have a wife.

Of these, only #2 and #3 have much validity. Designers use contrasting and complementary colors all the time, but, if you're really into matching, well, #2 and #3 are true, they match.

I can vouch personally for #6 not being true at all.

So you're going for a 30% right in your assumptions at best. Now who's the idiot.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

"SteveB" wrote in news:ZobGe.53093$4o.52889@fed1read06:

It depends on the local codes. My fence is completely on my property. Any painting on the other side is trespassing since the other side is still on my property.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

I got a free fence yeah !!!

OK now i understand it all.

:)

Reply to
giga

This all sounds very nice, but that houses should be netral colors like that, and that houses (even built-same townhouse duplexes) should all match is a matter of taste.

Your opinion.

A couple of stories:

I'm old enough to recall how the rows of built-same and painted (almost) same Cape Cods built in Levittown, NY,right after WWII were held up as awful examples of the Sameness of American Suburbia. Pictures of the matched rows, each with a car in the driveway, would be plastered up as example of a social malaise that was supposedly symptomatic of alienation of American culture. I don't subscribe to all that, of course - decrying the (as it turns out, very temporary) sameness as some Big Evul is just as silly IMO as blaming the lady on the corner who painted her house pink for the downfall of the neighborhood. But, if you go down those same streets now, what with different replacement sidings and windows, dormers, and additions, Levittown is far from an example of stifling sameness! And IMO it certainly doesn't look bad, nor would it look better if they all chose the same vinyl siding limited to Beige, Sand, or Clay.

Folks who bought old Victorians and strive to restore the house to the original condition and colors. They *think* they'll find the original color was something on the order of - white with grey trim and touches of, maybe, deep rose, find in the archives that their house in 1900 was purple, red, with deep blue items of trim! Or something like that...

So this is really a matter of taste. *Why* is a set of marching houses, up the hill, all biege brick with russett brown T1-11 supposed to be such of such aesthetic superiority over yellow, gold, and what other variety would be decided upon by other townhouse owners?

Surely that photo of houses on Telegraph Hill in San Fransisco that is so often used would be left in some archive if all those houses were matching beige with russet brown!

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I want white he wants brown he got his brown I now I want my own fence like he got.

so we will meet in the middle and I will put mine up too.

does that make sense or no ? he didn't compromise and get what he wanted so now I get what I want to.

and your an idiot lol

no wait I don't know you that well to say that ..but I bet your wife does and I bet she does lol

joeway

Reply to
giga

In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 07:27:27 -0700 Banty posted:

I think they look worse when first built than it does when all the houses are the same color scheme. (mine have light brown, smooth brick for the first floor, and russet brown t1-11 for the "privacy fence, and the second floor, and the door trims on the first floor, and the front door. One of the reasons I bought it was that I thought it was pretty. These are townhouses.

I think when every house is different, it doesn't look good.

Here each building includes 8 townhouses, and they are in 4 groups of two. That is, the elevlation of the houses changes as the building goes up a hill, and the setback changes a foot or two, but only groups of two, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, are always the same elevation and the same setback. They always share a roof. I think it looks terrible when two of them can't agree and they each put on a roof, that's a different color (apparently the HOA has no rules about roof color.)

In NYC and downtown Baltimore, the brownstones or row houses don't come in pairs. And in a couple cases, I've seen them put on stone siding on a brownstone while the rest of the block is still brownstone. It looks terrible. In Baltimore, they call it formstone (I think it was invented here) and it is very popular, but it still looks bad when a block looks OX0XXX0XX where X is either the original finish and O is formstone or the other way around.

Various versions of yellow, gold, and something I can't name that was meant to match the original color, that all clash with each other.

Plus it was a poor choice of color in the first place, because there is no aluminum or vinyl siding made in any color like it. (Actually, only 2/3rd of the houses at the top of the hill are that color. I think that row, with the 1/3 that is brown, was the first row built. All the rest are brown.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

He likes brown better than black I guess.

If It is what you want and not what he wants it is not a compromise. He does not like black, it seems.

He put up a fence on his property, he did not take your money, it is his prerogative to do that. Sorry, you have no say in the matter.

See, you do want to put up a spite fence. What is to be gained? Try masturbating instead as it is much cheaper than getting your rocks off with a fence.

The only logic is that you are pissed off and want to retaliate. He did not f*ck you, that is your perception, not anyone else's. YOU are the only one that does not see that. You got a free fence.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Oh sure, that they were all the same made them more affordable. Heck, the McMansions around here all pretty much are the same (OK, different options, and this one is stucco, that one is vinyl siding, but really, they're the SAME.) IIRC the Levittown houses were all painted in one of four pastels.

But even the sameness is a matter of taste. All of a sudden the chic thing is to restore a Sears catalog bungalow. Imagine - mail-order houses all the rage if they're old enough (I do like them, BTW).

But wait - remember the Sears calatlog bungalow! Having kept the original stuff is now a value booster. I'm even told I shoudln't trash my barely-working 1960 cooktop and built-in oven - they're "vintage" eBay fodder.

Maybe I would. After all, the original colors sound nice. But I dont' think they should have to be on every house.

That's one of the pitfalls of defining colors. Why even have to search for ones that "at least don't clash"? In 40 years, you'll see a sea of sorta-mostly-matching motley looking shades of russet brown. Bleahh.

Better to set up some contrast from the get go.

Banty (OK, carrot-yellow does sound pretty crappy...)

Reply to
Banty