Thinking of putting up second fence

In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 13:48:34 -0700 Banty posted:

True. which might make this whole subthread moot -- I don't remember. It might make this post moot too. :)

Neither do I but maybe for a different reason from yours. AFAIK, the only way they could have built homes cheap enough that most of those people could have bought one was by making them the same. It may take a while to build the first house, and the second, but I bet it took much less to build the ones that followed. (the particular issue here, I don't know about, if they were the same color or not. I don't think changing colors would be bad with free-standing houses, and it wouldn't slow them down or wasted money much either, I think, except for those partly used cans of paint at the very end. :) )

When I lived in Brooklyn, I made a point to go see Levittown, Long Island, just because of its fame. I went in 1980 or so.

I too noted that almost all had additions and bushes, and trees iirc. I sort of wondered how the 5% of people with no changes 30 years later felt. :)

The proof is in the pudding. I think if you would see this row, you too would think it was bad. Maybe if I had a digital camera, I would post pictures.

It's not about the individuality of the owner**. It's about 2 or 3 adjacent and proximate colors clashing. I think everyone agrees that's possible. **In fact, it was their attempts to use the same color, but not finding it, that caused this problem. Originally, we all knew what company, Duron, sold the paint that matched, and what the two colors were called. But I think no one told these people**, and they did the best they could to match, and didn't. The brown has become unavailable twice iirc in the past 26 years, but there is a substitute name that seems to be the same color or at least doesn't clash. But brown is used a lot of places so there are always a lot of browns. This one, when they don't make it, they don't make anything close enough. That won't stop a clerk from suggesting something, though. He doesn't know there is another house a half inch away.

**I think no one told them they would get 10?% off if they said they lived in this n'hood either. Easy enough to arrange, but most homeowners wouldn't think of it if not told.

One house is sort of carrot yellow, a combination of light carrot and the original color it seems, and another particularly clashing one I can't remember. Each color would probably look ok if they were farther from the others.

Arent' those free standing houses? Anyhow, they're not like my top row (which fortunately I don't have to drive by to get in and out. :) )

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

It's spelled "color", you Tory... ;-)

Reply to
Banty

Yeah, that must be it. Or, maybe you being the English conqueror, you feel you have the right to dictate what colour fence he has.. You got a free fence out of the deal, now learn how to live in peace with your neighbours.

Reply to
kato

Or "couleurs" en français...for the brown fence neighboUr!

:)

Reply to
kato

The old lady fart behind me put up a 2nd fence. She's a tard, anyway.

Reply to
BuddyB

In alt.home.repair on 30 Jul 2005 09:01:55 -0700 Banty posted:

Maybe they're right. I woudl start advertising in ebay before the new ones went in. That way if no one bites, you won't have a spare oven and stovetop around. If the price it sells for is really high, maybe you can spend more moeny on your new stuff.

OTOH, timing your purchase that way is hard to coordinate with sales on the new stuff.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 30 Jul 2005 09:01:55 -0700 Banty posted:

I was supposed to move out when I got married and had kids. Otherwise I like it here. At the rate I'm going, I'll be hear until I die, which is planned for 40 years from now, as you say, when I'm 98. I hope it doesn't look terrible, because by the time I'm 90, I won't have the energy to pack, let alone put all the features in my new place that I put in this one.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 07:29:18 -0700 Banty posted:

It's possible that he could put the fence on the property line , but the edge of the sidewalk was not the property line.

In my old n'hood, the road we lived on was a main straight road, went from 59th st. to 86th st, crossed the entire suburbs at the time. It was 8 or 12 feet from our property line, but the previous owner had planted trees and bushes next (to the rain culvert which was next) to the road. A lot of owners did this, and a lot of owners put their bushes inside the property line instead. (This also had the advantage that one could see if a car was coming when backing out of the driveway.)

I was back last winter for my unlce's funeral, 41 years later, and they still haven't widened the road we lived on.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:20:07 -0700 "Roger Taylor" posted:

I don't think so, but even if you're right, even the near edge of it might be a quarter inch inside the neighbor's property line.

I wouldn't take the OP's word about where the property line is, partly because I don't know who he bought it from and how precise that guy is.

I have the original platt for my property, but I'm still not sure where the lines are.

And the n'hood as a whole was built partly on the next neighborhood's property. Rather than tear things down, the builder arranged to give the other n'hood some unbuilt land that he actually did own. I don't know the details, but for now, I think it was an honest mistake.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 28 Jul 2005 23:31:22 -0700 "kevin" posted:

You know, the English channel wasn't an accident. The English dug it.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 07:09:40 -0700 Banty posted:

Impossible to do a good job with chain link. Even if one covered exactly 1/2, which would be impossible, that would only look right when looking head on. When looking at an angle, the other color would show, whichever side of the fence you were on. And wherever one stands, some part of the fence will be viewed at an angle.

It will look like crap.

Of course, one of things I like about this n'hood is that chain link fences are not permitted. Compared to wood fences, I hate them.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 07:32:34 -0700 c snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted:

Sounds good. You should be a labor negotiator or a marriage counselor, or UN Ambassador.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Yeah - I wrote that before I read that it was a chain link fence.

It would.

Around here we have limitations on them - they have to stay back behind the house. so they don't get used for property enclosures, but can still be used for dog runs, etc.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

That's OK - your cataracts will blend in all the various versions of "russet brown" by then ;-)

Reply to
Banty

Maybe you are.

I'd much rather the default be that dogs stay fenced. There's enough problem with folks who allow free-ranging dogs.

With toddlers, some kind of enclosure is a good idea, IMO. Mostly the chain link stuff is limited in scope, though - a dog run.

IMO the very commmon eyesore around here in upstate New York are above-ground pools. I hate the sight of those things. But I'd definitely be swimming against the tide to complain...

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Brown will fade into the landscape a bit better, perhaps. In view of the fact the neighbor was more aggressive, I would forget about it. You can choose to make it a major issue in your life, which will only distress you more. If you think it totally ugly, then plant a hedge to hide it. You may be able to make the issue into a twenty year war, since fences can cause so much conflict, but you will only harm yourself and your family.

You are saying a thoughtless and agressive neighbor has turned you into the same. How about going back to Mr. nice guy, remain principled and positive. Doesn't mean be a door mat, but just choosing your battles wisely.

I have neighbors who are takers, and a few who are givers. The takers will do ANYTHING to get what they want. I've gotten the dirty end from some of them but, given a choice, will try to remain who I am. I won't let them turn me into one of them.

Be thankful and enjoy what you have - a brand new home. I'm glad you posted this, because it puts a lot in perspective. And if the neighbors install purple fences, just plant some purple flowers to coordinate and bring them a bouquet once in a while :o)

Reply to
Norminn

I've seen this a lot in new neighborhoods where the first thing new owners do is put up a fence. They all look like crap, IMO. There is a fence four houses up from me, but no others around. Kids, dogs, never a problem. I don't see any reason for the dog in the back not to visit once in a while or the kids from up the street. Nice too look out the back and see open space, gardens, trees and may a few hedges as a natural boundary line. Guess we're just lucky.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
William Brown

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:15:14 GMT "Edwin Pawlowski" posted:

I agree with you. And you are lucky. When I grew up in a small city in Western Pa., no fences at al. I would walk around all the neighbors back yards, the ones on my side of the street, about 10 of them. Didn't get stuck until a bunch of bushes and weeds where the street would have been if it had gone through. Until we moved when I was 10. No one every complained. Weren't many dogs but the two there were ran free. Mother and daughter. They both chased cars and one was eventually killed doing that. But it was the dog's choice.

No, there were two others I rememer. One a cocker spaniel that lived in the yard of the house behind me, not fenced in and not chained afaicr, and one I came across a block away. It was following me so I took it home so it could meet the first one. It got excited, jumping up and down with its paws on my back. I don't know why. Eventually I got a bit scared and went home, which was right there. I coudl not see my back and my mother couldn't tell if it was a scratch or a bite, plus the excitable nature of the dog. So she took me to a vet. Figured he would know better than my doctor. It was a scratch. I never saw the second dog again. I wish I knew what was going on between the two of them. My mother, who was doggone protective, didn't complain about the two dogs running around. That was the way it was.

The new neigborhood was too boring to warrant looking, but we did go through the back neighbor's yard on the way to some place. And the dogs would run around all day, in a pack of 10 or 15, until they got hungry and went to their various homes. Never heard of anyone being bit.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 31 Jul 2005 07:57:35 -0700 Banty posted:

I agree that they are ugly. Why can't they dig a hole and put the above ground pool in the hole!