Thinking of putting garage floor covering in house.

I have sinus troubles and want to get rid of all my carpeting. The floor coverings I've looked at are pretty expensive, like wood or tile. I found something that looks like I'd be ideal and that I could do myself for a very low cost compared to the others. I could use garage floor covering for the living room, dining room, hall and bedrooms. I saw videos and pictures of it on the net. It's what they put on car showroom floors. It looks great to me. Rustoleum makes some and costs $65 a gallon. It covers 250 square feet and only needs one coat. I could do my whole house for around $300. All you have to do is roll it on with a paint roller after preparation. I could add throw rugs later. I was wondering what anybody here who has experience with garage floor covering thinks of this? Anything to look out for I may not know about? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
John Ritchie

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
John Ritchie

Too bad we all can't be as healthy and rich as you.

Reply to
John Ritchie

"John Ritchie" wrote

It doesn't sound very appealing to me. It sounds like the same stuff we use on Navy ships now (paint chips sprinkled in for color). Doesnt wear very well. Doesn't take a second coating well (have to grind it out).

Check out sheet linolium or vinyl lately? Some look a good bit like a wood floor and with some area rugs, they'd be cheaper and look better than the garage flooring I think.

Reply to
cshenk

As a fellow sinus sufferer, I REALLY do feel your pain. But garage floor epoxy isn't the solution, IMHO. It requires a solid, non-flexing, smooth floor, to have a durable surface and not look like crap. (and when it comes time to sell, a floor like that will have women turning around and back out the door in seconds.) Going by the results of several people I know who tried DIY in their garages, putting it down is not as easy as it looks- experience makes a big difference. And the fumes from the install process would likely require hiring the work out, and/or staying in a hotel for several days while it dries.

Have you looked to see what is under your carpeting? What year was your house built? Until early 1970s, in this part of US, hardwood was standard everywhere but kitchen, entry hall, and bath. When they realized that the wives immediately covered it all with W/W carpet anyway, they stopped doing that to cut a few bucks off the house price.

If you DON'T have salvageable hardwood under your carpet, I'd go with vinyl sheet in the wet areas, and wood-topped laminate in the other rooms, if real hardwood isn't in the budget. I have seen pictures of fancy houses in areas where carpet and wood are not a good idea (beach and snow country), where they did the entire house in pro-laid commercial grade 12x12 vinyl floor tile of multiple colors done up in a carpet or terrazzo pattern, and it actually looked pretty nice. The install job has to be PERFECT for that to not look cheap and tacky, though.

Reply to
aemeijers

Same problem here. Got rid of carpet. Installed "Pergo type" floor covering. Easy to install. Easy to keep clean. You do need a cut off saw to trim the ends. With carbide blade. This stuff is tough. Also one tool that is used for tapping in place. About $10. Google how to install. ww

Reply to
WW

Presuming this is a concrete floor, you would have to pull up the carpet tack-strip and patch all the damage around the edges of each room. Getting those patches feathered well would take some extra effort.

There are methods of staining concrete. They need to be sealed to prevent wear on the floor and may need occasional re-sealing.

Search Youtube / Web for staining concrete...

YMMV

Reply to
Oren

That is 65$ concrete garage floor paint thats 300% overpriced for an interior wood floor, you are not driving cars on it. You would just want porch and deck paint and buy some sprinkles. But it wont look nice.

Reply to
ransley

Go for it in one room.

If, for some reason, it doesn't work, cover the floor with something else (tile, laminate, vinyl, flagstones, straw, etc.).

Reply to
HeyBub