OT ICE engined cars to be banned in Netherlands?

And the status/wow factor. One of my neighbours has the V!2 E-type

Reply to
harry

It is a deliberately introduced feature called "kickdown".

harry

Sports cars have never really been my thing. I much prefer the wolf in sheep's clothing approach, like my previous motor, a Mercedes ML500; a

4x4 with a 6 second 0-62mph. Unfortunately, 19mpg was not particularly practical for long distance travel, hence the change to a slightly less sporty, but more economical, estate car.

Again, not really my thing. However, if I were going for an iconic vehicle to take to places like the Goodwood Revival, I would prefer the very cool looking Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing.

Reply to
Nightjar

What's the point they just catch up and undertake you if its busy enough to matter.

Reply to
dennis

Hence the organ donor description!

Reply to
Capitol

Resulting in some ending up being 'undertaken' themselves.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Which is a what Colin?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Having just bought a 2 seater convertible at my ripe old age, I'm just loving driving it hood down. But I've still got my old Rover for the winter.

BTW, that 17 mpg for the E-Type would be an overall figure. A 4.2 manual in good nick would do nearer 30 on the motorway at 70 mph.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

not if you block them in:-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

In article , NY writes

Not on the Jeeps I have driven -particularly smooth changes.

Not in the Jeeps (4 litre straight sixes) that I have driven. You control the gear changes by the pressure on the accelerator.

Then you are not very good at driving an automatic.

Reply to
bert

In article , charles writes

Below 10 mph they are probably overtaking you.

Reply to
bert

Lots of open cars on the road ATM, usually driven by a bloke with a bald head. Today's count included an E-type, an MGB and an Austin Healey

3000. A couple of days ago I saw a 1920s 3 litre Bentley. There have probably been a few more modern cars as well, but they didn't really register.

If the manufacturer is to be believed, on long distance cruising, I should be returning more than double that.

Reply to
Nightjar

Well if you're going to have a mid life crisis you may as well enjoy it :)

Besides the kids only crash them.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I'm lucky to still have plenty hair, even if it's not the colour it once was.

I'm surprised how many modern convertibles you see with the hood up on a nice day. Presumably to keep them nice and cool with the AC on. Which does make me wonder why you'd pay extra for a convertible?

Big snag is most older convertibles are a PITA to put the hood down and up. Mine is simply a push of a button. ;-)

No OBC? Thought most modern cars could give you the true and accurate MPG

- both overall and instantaneous.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It really depends on circumstances. Most older convertibles are only going to be 'fun' vehicles. You'd hardly take a 3 litre Bentley down the shops. And security with such vehicles is always poor. Modern ones can be very little different from a hard top in terms of practicality.

Some kids do appreciate older cars for what they are. If not, restrict them to the Clio.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It depends whether you trust the figure returned by the on-board computer or the figure calculated from brim-filling the tank.

Brim-filling will be subject to some error from the varying cut-off points of different pumps, but averaged over several tankfuls that error should disappear.

I've found with both our cars (Peugeot 308 and Honda CRV) that there is very little correlation between the OBC's overall mpg figure and the calculated figure from (distance since last filling) / (amount of fuel needed to brim-fill). The graph has a *lot* of scatter (a real plum-pudding graph!):

Notice how the Peugeot graph shows a number of horizontal rows for different values of trip computer value, which suggests that the trip computer rounds its figure to one of a discrete set of values.

These are mpg versus time

The red line is a moving average of the last (I think) 3 readings, to smooth out errors in cut-off point of different pumps. The pink line is the overall average (ie total distance since I've had the car / total fuel used).

Notice how the Peugeot's consumption got worse from about July 2015 when we bought the Honda and began using that for holidays and days out, so the Pug just gets used for shorter journeys of maybe 20-30 miles at a time rather than any 200+ mile journeys.

The really big dip in early 2016 for the Pug is when I had a new diesel particulate filter and cat fitted: the DPF was coming to end of its life and was warning of replacement needed; the cat needed to be replaced at same time simply because of a crossed/stripped thread when they removed DPF, though cat was probably due for replacement as well at 150,000 miles! Nice way of spending a grand all at once :-(

Reply to
NY

Of course. All of mine have been as accurate as makes no difference - checked against the old way of logging all fuel and mileage over a few tanks worth, starting and ending with a brimmed tank.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I never check mine. It would be too depressing.

Reply to
harry

It's depressing checking the Honda's and seeing how much worse it is in reality it is than the published figures - the gap between truth and marketing hype is bigger than for any other car I've owned. It's still very good in comparison with my 1988 and 1993 Golfs - but then they were petrol rather than diesel which you expect to be better.

Reply to
NY

You could just calculate from fuel dispensed?

But those scatters show a positive correlation, and from a quick look, quite strong. What are the calculated figures?

Yes, that's not too clever. Can't think why it does that, unless it's rounding up to make you heel better ;-)

That's a nice set of data. I'd have expected a more significant dip in the winter months (depending on your use of AC I suppose).

Reply to
RJH