Not a good time to be in Rothbury

Apparently, Rothbury have been without gas for 24h. Gas board shipped in 1100 electric heaters, which when all plugged in, have taken out their electricity supply too. Nice one... now they've got no power at all.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Wonderful - from an energy company - You couldn't make it up could you?

Reply to
cynic

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Doesn't exist any more

It should be avoided lest anyone might confuse it with British Gas

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

url:

writers seem unable to decide whether Rothbury is a town or a village, but I'd certainly have treated it as a rural location and had more than one source of heating in my house, preferably three. This has kept me warm so far this winter, despite several power cuts.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Since Rothbury has a market charter dating back to 1291 then technically it's a town. But then you'd hardly expect the local journalists to know anything about that.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Rothbury? Don't they all have hydro turbines in their back gardens?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Guess what will happen when we are all charging our electric cars overnight.

Reply to
Geo

You'll all take one look at your utterly terrifying electricity bills, and decide to walk/cycle/bus/etc instead :-)

#Paul

Reply to
kinslerp

?

I know you are joking, but the actual fuel cost of an electric car at current taxation levels is a about a quarter of petrol or diesel costs Or even less.

Power stations are about twice as efficient as IC engines.. which accounts for some of it and then the (lack of) taxation on power station fuel makes it about 1/4 the cost per watt generated...and electric cars are DESIGNED for efficiency from the word go - they have to be.

A typical 100-150 mile 'tank-up' would be about 50Kwh..say £4.50 in todays prices. If using cheap rate, as low as £2.00..

If the taxes on road fuel were applied to the gas coal and oil used in power generation, we would have gone all nuclear a decade ago. And be using electric heatpumps to heat our houses too..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ok now my car and the wife's and the daughter's all want 50 Kwh overnight ( along with all the neighbours). Will the local distribution system cope?

Reply to
Geo

No, but the electricity suppliers will soon install a few gas-fired generating stations.

Reply to
Onetap

Now it seems they lost their water last night, because of damage to the pipes...

A bit like 'The gas man cometh', innit...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine