OT ICE engined cars to be banned in Netherlands?

Air fairs? What's this, a new innovation? Dodgems in the skies? Coconut shies suspended from hot air balloons?

Reply to
Tim Streater

whisky-dave

Experience of users in the real world is that quoted ranges are up to 50% overestimates when used in real conditions

FTAOD, the same is true for liquid fuelled cars, of course.

tim

Reply to
tim...

Why would the Netherlands ban music in cars? ICE = In Car Entertainment.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I would say more like 20%. And the battery deteriorates with use.

Reply to
harry

Acceleration in electric cars is excellent. Who needs aircon in the UK? Open a window.

Reply to
harry

most people. the main benefit of aircon is drying the incoming air so you don't get misted up windows. and the UK weather is ideal for creating them.

Reply to
charles

According to the manufacturer's specifications, those cars have a 0-60 that is about the same as the Mk2 Triumph Vitesse. That might have been excellent in the 1960s but today it is mediocre.

It also heats the car in winter.

Which won't get the car any cooler than the outside air. Last week, that would have been around 24C.

Reply to
Nightjar

Well, that's true of a Tesla. But they're kind of expensive. What does yours do?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Me. I wouldn't buy a car without it.

Reply to
Huge

Dunno. But it's ahead of ICE cars from the traffic lights. (Max accelaration is from rest unlike ICE cars)

Reply to
harry

If you look at the data sheets your link leads to, the Leaf has a

0-62mph of 11.5 seconds. I haven't driven a car that slow since the 1960s. You might start rolling a bit quicker, but it is still quite mediocre performance.
Reply to
Nightjar

Odd then all the ones I come across creep round like the battery is flat.

I'd be more concerned with decent heating in the winter. And in cold weather, all batteries perform worse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1
Reply to
bert

It would be fine in average traffic if the electric car driver actually used some of that performance. But the majority - like Pious drivers - seem to be out to conserve as much energy as possible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cyclists are usually ahead of ICE cars from the traffic lights - for the first 10 yards or so. Autos are quicker than most manuals initially. My DAF44 was brilliant.

Reply to
bert

My ICE car is traction limited up to about 30MPH. I suspect yours isn't, and I'm damn sure you have less traction.

(I tend not to do this, it's bad for tyres and clutch. The latter is of course not an issue for an Electric or traditional automatic cars)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Tch. The electric motor has maximum torque at zero rpm unlike an ICE.

The 0-60 time is neither here nor there in urban situations. As most have a 30mph speed limit.

If you looked at 0-10mph or 0-20 mph, that would have some bearing.

Reply to
harry

My electric car is fitted with ABS and traction control. There is no clutch, the rear (driven) wheels are very wide and have most battery weight on them. Acceleration is seamless, there are no gear changes. The elctric motor is ideal for traction. ICE is the exact opposite.

Why do you ramble on about stuff you have no knowledge about?

Reply to
harry

Unlike an electric car, my car doesn't start from zero RPM. I get maximum torque in the range 1,600 - 2,800 rpm and it will very quickly be doing that if I am trying for maximum acceleration from rest.

Figures that are not published, so we can only look at 0-62mph. However, to give a practical example, do you think you could out-accelerate a 4.2 litre E type Jaguar? That is a car that is only a few tenths of a second faster to 60mph than my 2 litre diesel estate car.

Reply to
Nightjar