OT:I really, really want to like Linux ...

but it's hard to avoid the conclusion "it's a bit shit innit ?"
I'm sure it's a zillion times better than windows at managing a computer. But boy is it hard work trying to *do* anything in it.
I'm writing this having spent the better part of a day - unsuccessfully - trying to make a tiny change to a Thunderbird plug-in. I have the source. I've learned how it vaguely clicks together. But every step of the way I'm hitting out of date documentation, and things which just don't work. XULExplorer for a start.
I have just finished the tutorial
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Thunderbird/ Thunderbird_extensions/Building_a_Thunderbird_extension_4:_chrome_manifest
only to discover that DOM Inspector (the de factor tool the say to use) is obsolete - with no hint as to whether it will ever work again.
I will make my change - old school if necessary (back to coding with notepad). And then tell nobody about it.
here endeth the rant.
Jethro_uk wrote:

But ... how would the situation be any different if you were on Windows, trying to alter a Thunderbird add-on, rather than Linux?
Which add-on, and what are you trying to change?
Andy Burns wrote:

Remember (given that Thunderbird has spend the last couple of years becoming incompatible with various add-ons, far more than just the maxver hack) that TB60.x is fast approaching, which will leave all the old extensions behind like FF58 did ...
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 15:23:09 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Maybe time to dump TB then :(
On 31/03/2018 17:13, Jethro_uk wrote:

Not necessarily. It will mean extensions will be more tightly controlled and less crashes.
On 31/03/18 22:22, Fredxx wrote:

What crashes? I started using TB (3.0.1) 8 years ago under Win7, then under Ubuntu 14.10 just over 3 years ago, and for the last couple of years under Mint 17.3 (now as TB 52.7.0). Maybe I've just been lucky, but I can't remember it crashing at all.
--

Jeff

On 01/04/2018 08:25, Jeff Layman wrote:

Most issues seem to be from flaky profiles. For Firefox one recommend way of improving stability is to do a virgin install and import the old profile.
The only application where right-click stops working, and I am no longer able to access the menu (3 short horizontal bars) is Firefox. I have to restart it for it all to work again.
In the past I have known all the Thunderbird folders lose their ordering, a royal pain, otherwise I agree it is quite stable.
On 01/04/18 10:13, Fredxx wrote:

Thunderbird does seem to be clunky at times. I just have the Quick Folders extension installed.
Hardly use Firefox as it seems to take up too much of my time trying to get it working after updates. Opera does it for me. Built in VPN and adblocking and not so many issues when updates happen.
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 15:23:09 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I don't know if it'd be any better for your purpose than TB, but Fossamail takes the older extensions. It's sort of EOL but still has occasional private builds. ftp://archive.palemoon.org/unpublished/38.8.0a1/
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 15:11:08 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Fair point, maybe it's the FOSSness of it ?

It's the Exchange plugin
https://github.com/ExchangeCalendar/exchangecalendar/releases/tag/v4.0.0- beta4
I thought I'd tweak the post invitation processing to allow the user to specify what folder to dump the iCal mail into.
On 31/03/18 15:08, Jethro_uk wrote:

Why the fuck are you messing with souce code?
..I'd spend it on drink.
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 15:37:01 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Building_a_Thunderbird_extension_4:_chrome_manifest

Isn't that the whole point of FOSS ?
On 31/03/18 17:13, Jethro_uk wrote:

No.
--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 08:58:08 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

So what *is* the point of FOSS if not to allow end users to develop their own versions (and return them to the community) ?
On 31/03/18 15:08, Jethro_uk wrote:

If you post your rant on the relevant Linux group, I'm sure someone will walk you through it.
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 15:40:09 +0100, RobH wrote:

Building_a_Thunderbird_extension_4:_chrome_manifest

Ah, well, the first snag is finding the relevant NG ... like standards, there's a few to chose from :)

So what you are saying is, Thunderbird is shite. Well, we knew that.
--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 15:12:36 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

Building_a_Thunderbird_extension_4:_chrome_manifest

:)
I must admit it's almost a poster child for what's wrong with the penguinistas view of life.
If - under pain of death - I had to pick the single most used/valuable app on Windows, it would be Outlook (then Word, Excel etc).
And the one thing Outlook does *without compare* is handle email and calendar seamlessly enough for corporate use.
If there's one killer app the FOSS community should have put all their genius into, it's a match for Outlook. Instead Thunderbird has been slowly run down (hence the "without compare" ...).
Oh well, 2019 is another chance to be the year of the Linux desktop.

If you say so - I don't use Windows, so can't tell. However, after Eudora became too long in the tooth, I wrote my own email client and it's not that easy to do a good job.

Not sexy enough, probably.
--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 18:16:53 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

And if he goes into a Linux group with the attitude he's posted above, it's quite likely he'll be ignored.