OT: Here's a good idea

Exactly so. Which is why I said the lane most used by trucks on a motorway will suffer the most wear.
--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

You know it makes sense. Unfortunately, sense is something a lot of drivers (both young and old) seem to lack.

It's an art which, once acquired, is difficult to get out of the habit of.
Those really proficient at it qualify for membership of the MLOC. https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=MLOC+middle
But apart from a few initial headline cases, how many drivers have actually been done for it?

I always thought that there was an official 'Rule Of The Road', which said "Drive on the left - Overtake on the right". However, despite a bit of Googling, I'm surprised to see that is doesn't seem to exist.

In my experience, it usually IS Lane 1 that shows most signs of wear. If it doesn't, it's probably because it has been some fairly recent resurfacing.
--
Ian

Odd, I spend well over 90% of my driving in the inside lane and very few cars overtake as its generally at 70 mph (real not speedo).
The main times when I am in the middle is at junctions where people are joining.
I expect there are others that also know how to drive since there are usually a lot of other cars in the inside lane.

You must have very quiet motorways, because if driving at a true 70 mph you'll soon get stuck behind a truck running on its speed limiter. And on motorways round here if travelling at 70 mph, you'd not be able to spend anything like 90% of the time in the nearside lane. Which is generally near nose to tail with HGVs.

As they should be when it's reasonably clear.
--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Perhaps he drives on the M6 north of Lancaster, very few lorries there.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Beeching was a Physicist and worked from the early 50's for ICI. He was never involved with road building.
Also ITYWF that the truck weight limit for UK roads is 44 tonnes provided it has a minimum of six axles, and not 48.
--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
On 12/02/2017 14:18, Woody wrote:

For his review of the railways he was employed by Ernest Marples (of Marples Ridgeway) who was transport minister from 1959 to 1964.
You are right about the 44 ton limit though.
Jim
On 12/02/2017 12:28, Indy Jess John wrote:

<snip>

That doesn't explain a particularly badly potholed road in my village which has become a rat run (bloody satnavs) to get from a north/south A road to an east west A road without being held up by a pair of mini roundabouts in the village centre.
It is also the access road to the local primary school.
HGV's not allowed. Only a lightweeight single decker bus uses that route. Most of the traffic is cars and vans.
After the recent cold spell, then heavy rain, the road surface just disintegrated. The worst section is a sweeping left hand bend where the front nearside wheel will be exerting a tearing action away from the kerb, right where all the water is pouring along the slight slope.
Another bad section is outside the school where the silly Limp dem traffic calming hump is coated with red non-skid stuff which cracks, allows the water and salt to be trapped and then the entire road structure below comes to pieces as vehicles bump over it. Also on a bend in the road.

They were full of potholes like in Sheffield.
Snow and heavy rain also fall in Greece plus Greece has summer temperatures far higher than Sheffield gets.

but much more significant is Sheffield does very little road maintenance.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

On 12/02/2017 13:15, Martin wrote:

But they are cutting down loads of mature trees so they can resurface the pavements. OBjectors are being threatened with some obscure law intended for an entirely different problem.

The Sheffield council subcontracted tree and pavement maintenance for a ten ?? year period. Removing the trees makes both cheaper especially if the contractor sells the wood in the form of wood chips to DRAX Or a similar power station.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

More Sheffield frost damage? http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/woman-falls-down-15ft-hole-in-sheffield-city-centre-1-8379147
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Trouble with that line is that we don’t in fact see the intersection with the main road being worn out first.

and worn out Sheffield side roads aren't full of 42 tonne trucks and FWD.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland