noisy central heating system

my heating system vibrates and hums noisily when it is off and cold... i.e in the middle of the night. I have a combi boiler which works perfectly well for heating and hot water when it is on and it doesn't make a noise when it is switched on

Reply to
Alison hadley

Wind noise in the boiler flue?

Reply to
harry

Red sails in the sunset?

Reply to
Graham.

Our combi used to cause a loud hammer in the water (heating?) pipes in the night even with the heating switched off.

I imagine it was connected with the combi switching itself on briefly during the night to heat its hot water reservoir.

Reply to
pamela