OT He just gets dafter

The apprentice that is.

He was told he needed ID to get on site and that a passport or driving licence was required.

Just as we are about to book in he announced that he has changed his name by deed poll and that the name is wrong on his passport and that it will not match the name on the contractors list at reception.

FFS.

Reply to
ARW

Don't tell me, he is now Muhammed Ali Cartwright, and has a new beard and an attitude, and a long carving knife. And has nicked all the Hilti blanks

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had a hunch it would be the apprentice.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Chin up. Next week he'll probably be wanting you to call her Alice or something similar.

Reply to
Richard

mmm, it was the gay one.

Reply to
ARW

Has he changed his surname to his boyfriend's?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The other one managed to trap his hand in the van door.

I mean trap and not able to move the hand - not just slam the doors on his fingers and then shout "ouch".

Reply to
ARW

In message , ARW writes

Some people are too stupid for this life. I remember, 30 years ago, going an an organised one day pis^H^trip to France by coach, with a gang of pals. We're approaching Dover (from Colchester) and someone says 'get yer passports ready, lads' so we all hustle except one guy who sits there, looking blank. Passport, he says. Do I need a passport for a day trip? He made his way back to Colchester by train.

Reply to
News

So I conclude it was not a job in HMP's finest B&Bs?

Hope you made him wait in the van all day with no pay!

Reply to
Tim Watts

You sir owe me one new keyboard!

Reply to
Tim Watts

I trust that you were suitably sympathetic?

Reply to
GB

Do border control check that carefully?

I was on the way *back* from a short trip to Paris when I was told that my passport was out of date. They just let me through, though.

Reply to
GB

Well there you are, what has he changed it to? Ian Michael Plonker?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I managed a business trip to Denmark & back in pre-EU days, without a passport, on the back of my UK driving licence and my employer's ID card. Immigration in Denmark didn't seem to care & the bloke at the UK end just said "Next time, remember your passport."

Reply to
Huge

On the way back, they'll be slacker. I know somebody used a bus pass for example. It's possible that they can look details up on a computer anyway. They gain nothing by trying to block somebody from returning, because they'll have to come back anyway, and they'll create a massive amount of work for themselves arranging that.

On the way out though, shortest way home would seem to be the obvious answer.

Reply to
Clive George

When I were nobbut knee high to a bandy legged grasshopper you used to be able to get a temporary travel document from the Post Office instead of a real passport.

Short trips only I think.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I've a friend that has been through this took a while to change bank statements and even more difficult to sort a passport out. He did put it off for rather a long time. Every time he went back to France (once a year) he had to have a pretty close shave.

Reply to
whisky-dave

when I came back in a coach - September 2014 - they were very thorough.

Reply to
charles

Certainly weekend trips to France could be done through the PO in the 70s.

And kids were just written in on the parent's passport.

And the hydrofoil captain would let you go up front for a look :)

All a think of the past thanks to a bunch of oxygen wasting shiteheads.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I once did that sort of trip about 25 years ago.

And four of us missed the coach home because we were in a pub playing Fuzzy Duck.

Reply to
ARW