Wiring and plumbing comfort...

I needed to change LV lighting "transformer" earlier. After having spent 15 rather uncomfortable minutes laying down, propped up on an elbow in a cramped eves cupboard with low headroom trying not to brush up against the loft insulation, it struck me there really ought to be some kind of adaptable pillow or pad designed for people working in "difficult" places.

I quite often find when working in difficult places that you really need some way to prop yourself up (or support your head) so you can have both hands free to work on the task at hand.

Anyone found any good solutions for this?

Reply to
John Rumm

I've used cushions, books, lumps of wood with a jumper on top, anything which comes to hand really.

Something inflatable would seem appropriate for regular use though if storage space is an issue (carrying in a van for example).

Reply to
Clive George

A Lilo? (The inflatable bed, not the Linux boot loader, nor the Disney character!)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

70's bean-bag?
Reply to
Andy Burns

Something duffel bag sized, with a nice robust exterior, but inflatable liner perhaps...

Reply to
John Rumm

How about a bean bag or large beach ball (to take your inflatable idea)?

I would think a pillow sized bean bag would be the quickest to adjust.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I used two inflatable camping mattress laid end to end as a bridge across joists and loft insulation between loft hatch and that bit where the roof structure joists and wall all meet (Pitching point?). Access was awkward but I wanted both hands free while lying on my stomach to deal with small hole that had been started by a bird building a nest and then enlarged by a rat to gain access. Filling the hole with wire wool and then expanded foam was easier with two hands and movement and it was reasonably easy to slide back and forth on the mattresses. Crawl boards would probably have been the real solution but I did not have any and the mattresses were being stored in the loft and so to hand anyway.

For a head only support something from the medical world like is seen used to support injured heads on stretchers could be a starting point.

Taken at random with no recommendation this would be cheap enough to experiment with.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Man up Rumm!

:-)

Reply to
David Lang

A piece of long pile carpet glued to 2 layers of hardboard. Made one years ago, as the load is distributed, it doesn't bend too much or weigh too much. 6mm ply would have been better,

Reply to
Capitol

In message , John Rumm writes

No! I am displaying an 0 gauge set as part of village life soon, and have been adding wiring this week. Boards are deliberately low, for easy viewing by kids, and trying to stretch out underneath, to use two hands and move my head around to see what I'm doing is not easy. This is an around the walls display, and crawling in and out of the middle is not as easy as it once was, either :-)

Table top is 29 inches, and the years are advancing.

Reply to
News

The problem with inflatables is wobble. They are a bit like laying on a jelly as the air moves about tipping you off the side. The make do and mend is what i tend to do as mentioned. Of course in lofts of unknown design covered in ancient lagging the main issue is not to go through the ceiling where they have not put boards down.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is there anyone on this NG under 60? :)

Reply to
GB

Daniele Procida, Darren Chapman, Tim Watts...Um. Pretty sure of those though!

Reply to
Bob Eager

this was on sale a few weeks ago would work for the model railway but i thought one more bit of tat, didnt buy it

Car Creeper £ 24.99 Repair and inspect your car more easily with this Car Creeper.

DICEGEORGE

(49 next month...)

I have never like working on low stuff or on my knees (the floor is a long way down, and I have yards of excess limbs to fold up once I am down there!). Middle age and creeping signs of arthritis is not making it any more fun.

Reply to
John Rumm

No, they're all over on farcebook

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Don't work so well in lofts though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Gremlin, who sometimes posts here, is 20ish, I believe. And Adam is under 50, isn't he?

Reply to
S Viemeister

ITYM faecesbook

Reply to