OT - dangerous weapons from Amazon

Well, a plastic potato peeler. I kid you not. Amazon were asking for name, age, etc. and saying that a signature and proof of ID would be required on delivery.

Makes it worth the trip to the shops.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

It's silly, but (sort of) not. Metal nail files have long dince vanished, at one time they were the (not unreasonable) personal protection weapon of choice for adventurous young ladies.

Amazon are just ticking boxes, of course. I've never had to sign for anything like screwdrivers or hammers; or penknives for that matter.

Reply to
newshound

Boots still sell them, with pointy-end for getting the grot from under the ends of your nails ... I wouldn't like to rely on one for stabbing an attacker, but I doubt I'd like being stabbed by one either.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I ordered a pair of garden secateurs a couple of weeks ago from Amazon. The delivery driver asked me for proof that I was over 18, so I showed him my driving licence. I'm 57

Reply to
Mark Carver

not his fault. It's the Law

I was asked in a shop - I was 79 at the time.

Reply to
charles

Oh I know. In fact we both had a good laugh about it, because if anyone might have required proof of being over 18, it was him !

Reply to
Mark Carver

Just had delivered a Paudin chef's knife, 8" blade - now there's a weapon! Driver asked for DoB, in such a thick accent that I had to ask him 3 or 4 times. I'm 74, so rather obviously >18 - I gave him a near-enough date, not giving the real date unless needed.

Reply to
PeterC

when I had my flue jab last autumn, I was asked by the nurse "Are you over

65?" To which I said I had my 80th birthday 5 months ago." But the silly thing is, she had my file open on her laptop. Perhaps it was to check I wssn't an imposter. My file might not have a photo.
Reply to
charles

Why would anyone buy a plastic potato peeler?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I sort of got the point, after all I had my passport with me.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Otherwise they get accused of discrimination

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wasn't aware plastic potatoes even existed ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

I was asked by Waitrose for proof of age to buy a DVD featuring Keira Knightly as it was marked '12'.

Reply to
Scott

to peel plastic potatoes - boom, boom

Reply to
charles

Every time I go for a checkup on my right eye, they test my eyesight. Nurses have my file open on the desk.

They still insist on me covering the prosthetic eye ("you surely have some sight in it". "No, it's gone"). One even tried to take a retinal photograph and it wouldn't focus.

These days, I wear my weird prosthetic - black with a chrime ring and a red dot. That fixes them.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I ordered a bunch of things including a utility knife the other day - the driver just asked for a name and date of birth, but did not ask to see any ID... (although he probably figured I looked more than 18!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Because it won't show up on airport metal detectors?

Reply to
nightjar

I understand that they've just changed the standing instructions to be a bit more relaxed.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Divert the plane now, or the spud gets it!

Reply to
John Rumm

in australia if you are over 65 you are not allowed to have pfizer.

Reply to
F Murtz