OT - dangerous weapons from Amazon

You can get potato peelers with ceramic blades now.

Reply to
F Murtz

My luggage was searched at Edinburgh airport after the scanner detected a large spanner and corkscrew made of chocolate in my case (novelty crap christmas presents)

Reply to
alan_m

You can get through with what looks like grenades on the X-ray.

Haggis.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was once escorted to a small room at Glasgow airport when somebody thought the twisted wires in a packet of pipe-cleaners in my briefcase were detonators.

Reply to
charles

Most 30 year olds are really pleased to be challenged as over 21...

It's only us wrinklies who can treat is as a joke.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

A few months ago, an Amazon delivery driver, delivering a bottle of spirits, demanded to see photo ID before he would hand it over - I am 54!

My passport had expired and been sent for renewal and it is only by luck that I mislaid my paper driving licence and had to get it renewed with a photo one.

I wonder what he would have done if I'd not had the licence and so had no photo ID? Or if he was delivering to the 93 year old neighbour, who gave up driving some years ago, after a stroke, and whose last passport expired in the 1960s!

Reply to
Steve Walker

It is not the law. The law only requires companies not to supply to people under 18. To avoid doing that unintentionally, vendors can ask to see ID - however the law does not require it and vendors should only ask if there is any doubt (hence the under 25 policy in some shops).

Secateurs probably aren't even covered - for instance, the law DOES allow children to buy scissors ... despite some shops insisting otherwise.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I presume that ceramic potato peelers are like ceramic knives, in that they (by law) contain sufficient metal within the ceramic mix to trigger airport detectors.

Reply to
Steve Walker