OT He just gets dafter

Yes, I still remember the Hovercraft day out in Boulogne.

Reply to
Capitol

Yes - that facility had been withdrawn before our trip, which was mid or possibly late 80s. He didn't try to get to France for the day without a passport - I think he was worried about getting back to the UK :-) Yes, he would have done so eventually, but didn't want the hassle.

Reply to
News

Oh, so do I. 4 metre waves, we were warned.

Two different sizes of craft (inherited from Seaspeed and Hoverlloyd). We got a small one. I was not well.

On the way back, they wouldn't use the small ones as it was too rough. We had to wait for the larger craft.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I had one or two rough, and one or two exceedingly smooth such trips. The smooth ones were really quite amazing.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The British Visitors passport which sounds like what is being mentioned here was withdrawn from the beginning of 1996..

It's not clear though if the chap from Colchester held a passport and just didn't bring it or had none at all. ICBW after all this time but I don't think you should have have applied one if you already held a normal passport though I don't know if there was any mechanism for the post office clerk at the counter to check. Can anyone recall what supporting documentation was needed. A birth certificate was one but not many people keep that with them yet i have a feeling I got one using a driving license when on an impromtu visit to friends in London and seeing a British Railways poster advertising a cheap return fare offer to Amsterdam we decided that would be a fun way to pass the weekend. That was about 1984 and I just popped into a Post office and got one on the way to Liverpool street station.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The last time I went on a ferry almost everyone was being sick including the crew. The smell was making me feel ill so I went outside and watched the waves, the big waves.

Reply to
dennis

British Visitor's Passport - I came across one of my (very) old ones yesterday.

Reply to
polygonum