[OT] Grenfell Tower - Officials

Ah I forgot he was talking crystal bollocks. :) That explains it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In message , at

14:27:58 on Tue, 20 Jun 2017, Dave Liquorice remarked:

They have standard plans for that sort of thing. One of the news stories has pumps from Shoreditch attending, and they will be replaced by a cascade which could well go out into Essex.

As a benchmark, LFB has 157 engines (so the 40 at the call plus the 20 reliefs in the first morning) is 40% of their equipment. They appear to have sent close to 100% of their ancillary vehicles.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Computer models tell you where incidents are most likely to occur and where to put your resources for the quickest responses.

It works for ambulances why do you think it wouldn't work for fire engines?

They already use modelling to make sure fire cover is maintained. When an engine goes out of area they call in another engine from even futher out to provide the cover that has now moved, or at least the sensible ones do..

Reply to
dennis

Bloody hell, which area is so bad they don't move other engines as soon as they others are called out? Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen not moving them.

Reply to
dennis

In message , at

14:52:20 on Tue, 20 Jun 2017, "dennis@home" remarked:

Some forces also do this when positioning/manning police stations.

Although like the Fire Brigade they tend to historical assets which may no longer be in the optimum places.

Ambulances are a bit different because there are numerous places they can be stationed (GP surgeries in the countryside, hospitals and minor injury units etc).

I suspect that ambulances are rather more "on the go the whole time" compared to fire trucks.

Reply to
Roland Perry

If they could predict this fire, why didn't they do something about it before it started?

People becoming ill or get involved in accidents all over the place. And an ambulance will do far more runs per day than a fire engine. It might well make sense to scatter those over the area more than it would with Fire Engines.

Oddly, I've never seen an ambulance parked up in the street waiting for a call. If this was the case they'd be there regularly?

But surely the same must apply to the police? Being on the spot reduces travelling time? That must be why they've close so many local police stations.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Police are always moving resources around to give the best response.

Which is exactly why putting the engines elsewhere is a good idea.

The favourite spot around here are on ASDAs car park as it has easy access to main roads. The ambulances are never stationed at the hospitals as it is unlikely to be a need for them to respond to an emergency there.

So the reason not to do it is so the firemen can watch TV?

Reply to
dennis

This is central London. Much of it hasn't changed in a way that would effect where fire stations were 100 years ago. Ie, central for their area to keep response times to a minimum. Of course many of those sites are also very valuable. Prime targets to make a quick buck from.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at

14:55:04 on Tue, 20 Jun 2017, "dennis@home" remarked:

Garrigill, nr Alston, Cumbria; according to his domain WHOIS.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

15:23:06 on Tue, 20 Jun 2017, "dennis@home" remarked:

Not so much in the sense of building new police stations and closing old ones.

And a cafe!

Oxford's main ambulance station is at one of their two biggest hospitals. Cambridge's at Addenbrookes. And that's just two hospitals I've been to recently.

Firemen need to have somewhere to return to, have a break, hang up their hoses to dry, and so on.

Reply to
Roland Perry

So in the last 100 years people density has stayed the same so you need the same amount of cover as you had 100 years ago. No wonder you think its a bad idea. I suppose you think congestion is the same as 100 years ago too.

Reply to
dennis

Because some people don't think it works and quash the idea. You would be one of them.

How do you make such a silly deduction? Are you saying that because there are so few fires we can put the engines 20 miles away, because that is what it sounds like.

Why? is your street special?

The police are usually patrolling and aren't sitting on their arse in police stations.

Closing the front desks is so they can have more patrolling rather than sitting on their arses.

Reply to
dennis

You couldn't get an ambulance into the nearest ASDA car park round here. Cars only. And likely worse in K&C. But there is an ambulance depot quite close to it. Nowhere near a hospital.

You really need to get out more, dennis. What suits where you live isn't going to be ideal everywhere. Supermarkets with big sprawling carparks don't really exist in central London. Go a bit further out and they do.

Two I can think of off the top of my head that once had large surface carparks - Sainsbury at Fulham and Vauxhall have now both been developed with multi-story carparks. Not suitable for an ambulance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No need for any of that. Fireman should be forced to stay in their vehicle

24/7 parked outside dennis's house. He just know it makes sense.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

as seen from the train, Sainsburys, Vauxhall is still a building site.

Reply to
charles

Dave Liquorice submitted this idea :

Diesel, but a night heater uses much less fuel than keeping the engine running and less mechanical wear and tear. Diesel engine just ticking over produces very little surplus heat to warm the cab.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes - what was the old carpark is still being developed. But the new store with multi-story car park is now open.

Makes me feel old. I remember going to the old store when it was brand new and the biggest in the area. One thing the new one hasn't got is a filling station.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With four or five blokes in that cab 24/7, heat might be the least of the problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for that, not that I'm likely to visit it = my driving days in London are over, thank goodness.

Reply to
charles

some of them aren't blokes

Reply to