OT Grenfell tower fire

It is important to know the truth and not the "false news" being peddled! : Grenfell inferno

One hates to be seen to be attempting to score points morbidly, but occasionally the fake-newsers need to be put back in their place.

  1. The block of flats was run not by the Council but by KCTMO. This body is made up of 8 Tenants, 4 Councillors and 3 Independent Members.
2 Labour hold the seat that the block is situated in. 3 Labour run the London Council who manage the underfunded London Fire Service. 4 Emma Coad the sitting Labour MP for that ward also sat on the KCTMO. 5 The advice to stay put which Sadiq Khan has been so vocal about was given by the London Fire Service. 6 The decision to change contractors during the refurb was made by KCTMO. 7 The decision not to spend an additional £138k on fitting sprinklers was again KCTMO. 8 The decision to create ALMO organisation such as the KCTMO was made under the Right To Manage legislation passed in 2002 as part of the Commonhold an d Leasehold Reform Act. 9 This was put in place to give leaseholders and tenants a greater say and the ability to self-manage, which in some circumstances has clearly proven to be flawed. 10 Which Govt was in a charge when this law was passed? It was Labour. 11 Sadiq Khan as mayor of London produced a report to say that the fire service did not need further funding. 12 Emma Coad elected Labour MP was on the board of the Tenant Management group who are being accused of not listening to tenants. It's a modern lynch mob encouraged by bitter Labour MPs who, having lost a close election, want to destroy an elected government for a chance of a second election. This has nothing at all to do with the Conservative Government nor its current leader. The current protests are being organised by the Far-Left to justify their own ends (much like the riots in the USA).
Reply to
harry

I dont think if you read real news that any of that is disputed. it was lack of oversight of the whole which was the problem and nobody actually listened to the residents themselves. Unfortunately broken structures like this exist in all political echo systems. Its got nothing to do with party politics, its a lack of management and proper oversight as I said. Everyone has an axe to grind now and is trying to point the finger elsewhere. its about time they all woke up and admitted that the structure of the contract lacked any kind of 'the buck stops here' person with an overall view of what was being done. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

'Listens to the Residents', how many of them know anything about buildings- seriously. How many average people really have a clue about building construction etc?

Don't try and claim 'neglected tower blocks etc' - there are excellent tower blocks with people living perfectly fine in them all over the world- including even in the UK.

Unfortunately, and not necessarily Grenfell, the problem with 'neglected tower blocks' or any 'neglected area' isn't the building at all, it is those who live there and abuse it.

As students, we rented a perfectly fine place. It was available to us as it was deemed to be in a 'neglected' estate. The actual accommodation was fine, as was the building. Had it been in the private sector, it would have been worth a fortune. It was 'neglected' because some tenants were little more than pigs. There were numerous EMPTY places on the same estate in an area supposedly with 6000 on the waiting list who would accept them.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Advice that would have been perfectly sound, had the building performed as originally designed. In that case, the risk of death or injury from an evacuation would have been much greater than from a fire that was properly contained. As ever, experience may modify the advice in future, but a lot of people appear to have died trying to evacuate the building.

Research from around the world shows that sprinklers are far from a complete solution. Their main benefit is that they reduce casualties in the room where a fire starts and may delay the spread of the fire. They cannot be guaranteed to extinguish a fire and cannot deal with all types of fire. Sprinklers would have had no effect on the external spread that occurred at Grenfell tower.

Reply to
Nightjar

And that's your first bit of fake news.

The 'tenants' requirement was not for them to be tenants of the block - but simply legal tenants of the council.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually some did in this particular case as they got so annoyed they got an expert in. I think that the attitude you just demonstrated is exactly the one infesting many of these management structures. Sometimes common sense is ignored. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's the problem. The fire wasn't contained. The insulation was incorrectly installed.

Reply to
harry

In message , at 00:25:09 on Sat, 2 Sep

2017, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

Many/most of which would also have been KCTMO tenants, but they have numerous buildings and it's not necessarily the case that tenants are the best to be making decisions about blocks the other side of the borough.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Something the LFB would not have known when they gave the advice.

Reply to
Nightjar

And the insulationm was not incorrectly installed. Incorrect cladding was installed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The KCTMO has nearly 10,000 properties from which to get the 8 tenant representatives.

Reply to
alan_m

In message , at 10:37:49 on Sun, 3 Sep

2017, alan_m remarked:

I wonder how many of them even live in any of the tower blocks in their portfolio?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Quite. They could be tenants of some old traditional house in a posh part of the borough. So know nothing about tower block life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Rather than speculate you could of course always ask them: their names are all published.

The tenant/leaseholder directors were of course also elected by the tenants/leaseholders. So they apparently thought they were the best people for the job. It is of course one of the drawbacks of democracy combined with universal suffrage that voters from time to time elect people who are good at campaigning, offering all sorts of promises, but useless at delivering and so leave a mess for someone else to sort out.

Reply to
Robin

A gap was left between the building and the insulation Horizontal barriers were supposed to be installed at every floor in this gap. And apparently weren't The windows were moved away from the wall onto the insulation. The gap round the windows was not sealed with fire proof material.

So the fire came up the gap and was conducted into every flat.

As per original construction, staying put was the best advice. The flats were isolated from each other. But not after the insulation was fitted.

Reply to
harry

a huge error in logic there

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Please explain my error *using the meaning of "best" implicit in my statement*.

Reply to
Robin

the voters evidently thought they were the best of the few they could vote for, which is routinely a long way from the best for the job. We all know that, don't we?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , at

13:04:28 on Sun, 3 Sep 2017, Robin remarked:

And their addresses?

Best from a rather short list of candidates?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Sorry but no, I don't know that.

I used "best" to mean implicitly "those the person voting thought were best according to whatever criteria that person chose to use".

You appear to be using "best" to mean something different. But you haven't defined it. So I don't know about "we" but *I* haven't got the faintest idea what you mean. Feel free to enlighten me though as to what makes the "best" director of the KCTMO from the viewpoint of a tenant/leaseholder.

Reply to
Robin