Blocking vents in walls

The continuing saga of the ex PO/shop attached to our house.

Keep in mind that, for 40 years, it was 'improved' by 'engineers' employed by Royal Mail and/or Post Office, who added sockets, installed alarms, rearranged wiring etc., all without any thought of aesthetics, so cables run all over the place and, where they meet a wall, just go through without any attempt to seal the holes.

The local fire brigade visited recently, and gave the building the all clear, but made a few advisory comments, one of which was to seal various holes. One internal wall in particular is plasterboard over studs, and, either side of the wall are vents - holes around 10 x 6 inches covered with a plastic vent. I was advised to remove the vents and fill the holes with plaster board which is OK, but why might the wall have needed vents in the first place?

Reply to
Graeme

Was a boiler once housed in a room either side of the wall ?

To prevent damp by having some air circulation?

Reply to
alan_m

Are the vents lined all the way through the stud wall to a vent on the other side? If there is no vent on the other side, or no lining to avoid the inside of the wall being 'ventilated' then maybe the vents were just used as a quick way of finishing off holes in the plasterboard made for wiring access etc.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No. The wall separates what was the PO on one side, and the RM sorting/ delivery office on the other. Both have external doors, and all hot water and heating comes from the house boiler. Looking at the original plans (1979), there is no mention of a boiler.

Yes, but why, I wonder. As said above, both areas have external doors. Both areas also have opening windows. The sorting office side has a kitchenette, but the intention was only ever a kettle and sink. No cooker. It was years later that a microwave oven was added, and a fridge.

Reply to
Graeme

Yes. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

Although the walls are now full of wiring holes, none are near the vents, and there is no trace of there ever having been anything there, other than the vents.

Reply to
Graeme

Maybe it was to shout through: "Tea's up!" :)

Or perhaps they even put post through? Later on, when that stopped, the grilles were added.

Reply to
GB

RM staff would certainly not make tea for PO staff :-)

The holes/grills are above the connecting doorway, so 7 feet above floor level :-)

Reply to
Graeme

I can see no reason they were put in. But I think you can be quite confident that there is no need for them now, and they constitute both a fire risk and a confidentiality risk.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I have seen partition walls put up with holes in to allow the fluorescent fittings to continue through :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Probably some sort of forced ventilation system, since removed.

Reply to
harry

Just assess whether you need them now.

NT