Drill bit to big for chuck, such thing as converter

I have a drill bit (Draper tools part number is 41798) and i wanted to use it in conjunction with a footprint hand drill, however the drill bit will n ot fit in the drill's chuck (drill bit is a bit big), can anyone tell me if there is a way to get round this with some kind of converter or adaptor
All1

This is usually the easiest way
http://www.screwfix.com/p/blacksmiths-drill-bit-set-6pcs/81110
Available singly in all sizes, eBay etc.
On 01/09/2017 19:55, newshound wrote:

Didn't realise until checking that this is a wood drill. Is your hand drill a ratchet brace? These normally take a slightly odd tapered square shank.
If it has a normal three jaw chuck it would be easy enough to grind down the shank in an approximate hex geometry using an angle grinder.
Do you have no other drill? Unless you are doing serious restoration in oak, the easy way to drill 12 mm holes in wood is with a spade bit and a cordless drill. Or a forstner or auger, if you want a bit more accuracy.
newshound wrote:

if a (turned down?) 12mm shank won't fit, surely 1/2" won't either
On 01/09/2017 20:12, Andy Burns wrote:

I have seen these with 10mm shanks. Many cordless drills won't take more than 10mm.
Personally I would consider using a flat bit which will usually have a 6 sided 1/4" shank.
On 01/09/2017 21:49, Fredxxx wrote:

3/8, which is a bit less.
Bill
On 02/09/2017 02:37, Bill Wright wrote:

That may be on some, my Bosch can certainly take 10mm, though with little room to spare.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com has brought this to us :

Drill shanks are usually quite soft steel, if you could borrow the use of a lathe and turn the shank down - providing it is not much smaller..

https://www.ukdrills.com/auger-bits/auger-drill-bit
On Friday, 1 September 2017 20:59:21 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

Thanks you Dennis this is a perfect answer for me, many thanks to everyone else for replying as well, thanks folks
All1