Making a battery adaptor for a cordless drill.

My day to day set of cordless tools are a combi drill, jigsaw and circular saw from Lidl, all of which share the same 18v battery. I also bought a couple of spares.

I also have an 18v Wickes cordless drill (think made by Kress) which has a very useful right angle drive with it. Which fixes to the body (fast release chuck which gets transferred) So more of a piece than a universal right hand drive.

Of course the batteries on the Wickes are now knackered. Had one re-celled, and that does still sort of work, but was never as good as the originals power wise even when just done.

I've obtained a knackered Lidl drill for not a lot.

Idea is to cut off the battery plate and fit it to the Wickes drill so I can use the Lidl Li-Ion batteries.

Choices are.

Cut the battery plate off the Wickes drill and replace with the Lidl one. Sounds tricky.

Cut a Wickes battery down and fit the Lidl plate to that. So an adaptor.

Any thoughts? What sort of glue and filler would be best?

Probably a job for a decent 3D printer - but I ain't got one.

Obviously I could just by a pukka right angle drill - but they are a hell of a price, and I've already got too many different batteries and chargers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I thought about this when I binned my Ryobi angle drill, but put it into the "not worth the effort" box. That said, it's partly because I don't do much that needs an angle drill these days (and if I had a need, I could easily afford a new one now).

Reply to
newshound
<snip>

I have ... and am happy to print anything you want (foc) and stick it in the post.

For starters, if you look here:

... and see if you can see anything that might do what you are after and if not (in a single solution), maybe two different bits could be used (for the specific fittings etc) and joined etc?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I printed one of these the other day:

... for a Makita impact wrench I was given but without the charger. It is to be used as both a USB battery bank and a way of reliably accessing the terminals for charging on my universal charger.

After printing and a tiny bit of cleanup it slides and latches onto the battery in the same satisfying way as a clip in a Glock. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Well don't mess with the battery, as unless you are careful it could explode if you shorted something out. So only you know how easy things might be. How about a dummy battery, empty, but with a thick cable attached connected to the non standard new battery. That way you could just make a battery older and it would not have to be part of the drill at all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Very handy to use, Brian. Think I'd prefer using my mains drill. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Along similar lines, DeWalt sell a 'battery eliminator' for their contractor saws, so run it on mains when at in the shed, or on battery when on-site

Andy Burns

Can see that being useful on what is basically a bench mounted tool. Which is also taken on site.

But not really for a hand drill. Most will already have a mains one lying around. Or even several. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News