Totally OT - BAME Covid Attitude

There's no doubt it feels very rude to cross the road to avoid walking near someone. Even though I know that it is currently the right thing to do. I wonder if this is a factor? Or just getting used over the years to ignoring media stories telling you what to do. If you know any of these families well enough you could try asking them diplomatically how they feel about avoiding people, or being avoided, in public in the current crisis.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Don't.Get.Me.Started. But it not just the usual suspects, it's chavs as well. I see both groups thinking the rules simply don't apply to them. Although we have Asian Indian friends who are in a high risk group becuase of their ethnicity and they are absolutely terrified to go out or talk to any one.

Reply to
Lee

More likely that different ethnicities start with different views on space.

Never forget the very first time I met a Nigerian. We were sitting semi-facing on adjacent chairs and started chatting, and he put his hand on my knee. Very odd feeling for a second or two until I figured it out.

Reply to
newshound

Early on in the fiasco I was outside a supermarket, everyone queuing as advised. Guy who owns the nearest newsagents (ethnicity obvious?) spotted a friend in the queue. They had an enthusiastic handshake followed by a man hug.

Cut to current, brother in law is in hospital on the covid ward, Asian fella on there constantly having visitors (How? Why?) about which he challenged the nurses but they shied away from doing anything about it.

Asian fella writing in his column in the local rag about how his community are making no effort whatsoever to follow guidelines and visiting friends sick with covid in their own homes.

I could write a book of what has gone on around these parts in the last few months.

Now I think a lot of the restrictions are utter bollocks but we DO have a high (country's highest?) number of cases, we ARE in tier 3 and i'm probably not going on holiday AGAIN!!!!! on Dec 21st. If so that will be the 4th time i've had plans cancelled this year.

Reply to
R D S

I think we have no idea how the Asian immigrant - especially the Muslim Asian, sees himself, his family and his place in society.

There are huge and massive inferiority complexes in BAME cultures, that are compensated for by massive pride, and in the case of Islam, a moral code that completely justifies hatred of and casual lying to anyone not of the Faith. And if that lying is successful in extracting money, then it becomes entrenched.

The dominant emotion underlying all this is *shame*. BAME is ashamed of being inferior, and therefore is angry hurt and aggressive and assertive of rights and culture - anything to rally round to compensate for being more or less inadequate in other areas. The lower class and the less successful, in western terms the more this feeling is prevalent, and its not confined to BAME either - the whole white leftist and Marxist movement is founded on feelings of inferiority from the 'working class', turned into a resentment against anyone competent, on the grounds that competence is a mark of oppression and elitism by someone or other.

And of course guilt by the chattering classes - upwardly mobile working class, that they are only too happy to feel superior

I've noticed a lot about Asian and black culture once I stopped feeling guilty about having a balanced view of it.

I remember the amazement with which my niqab clad optician said 'you studied optics at university?' when I said - "ah , 'cylindrical' - I have astigmatism then" and I said "No. 'O' level physics"...

To feel inferior in the face of something superior is a common emotion to us all. To resent it and morally justify hatred of it, and to turn it into subconscious racism, is the triumph of Marxism, and Islamism, against a more natural response which is to respect it....

I really like African culture for its cheerful and humble acceptance of things as they are. And I am very inimical towards Asian culture and Marxist infiltration of Black culture to make it dissatisfied with what it is, and promote hatred towards outsiders.

If Covid takes out people who think like that, its a certain sort of Karma.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just after the first lock-down I had to use motorway services and it was very noticeable that the majority of people who were not using masks whilst wandering around were from the BAME community.

Reply to
alan_m
<snip>

From our experiences so far (mostly when out dog walking) is that it's across the board, but the most obvious being amongst the young, typically school kids when they are coming out of school (when it can feel like a salmon swimming up a (potential) Covid stream). ;-(

Luckily one of the dogs has a very good grasp of social distancing and so generally ensures they all stay away from us. ;-) [1]

Daughter has had to 'remind' people standing in a shop queue of the social distancing rules, often it seems, older women? [2]

Cheers, T i m

[1] We were walking along the high street with the dogs a while back and were approaching a group of black lads who were outside a 'chicken shop' and spread across the whole pavement.

Just as we were about to step into the road to go round them (social distancing, mostly because they were oblivious of us), one spotted the terrier, shouted 'Dog' and the who group exploded like a starburst firework! We all laughed because even they found it funny, given many of them were as big as me. ;-)

[2] And ironically because of their risk *from* her (as well), given someone at her work has died with Covid19 (she was tested and was clear). Mate has lost 2 customers and 3 reles, Mums neighbour had it, Mums friend died of it ...

'Anti-Vaxers' or 'Pandemic Enthusiasts'?

Reply to
T i m

Quite; it's a chav thing rather than a colour thing. Probably the OP's neighbours are ordinary chavs of colour.

My wife notices it particularly with young women pushing buggies, two or three abreast along the pavement. Apparently they expect her to step into the traffic. Not a new thing either.

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

Figured what out?

Reply to
Pamela

Then what happened?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Before Covid when my dad and wife were in hospital if there was a black/brown patient quite often there'd be a big crowd of visitors round the bed, when the rule was two max. No-one ever challenged them. Presumably they'd be accused of racism if they did and sacked.

On one occasion me and two friends (who had given me a lift) went to visit my wife. A nurse came and said, 'two max' so incensed I said, "What about that lot?" She just walked off.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

NFN

Normal for Nigerians (in fact probably for much of West Africa).

Reply to
newshound

A way of asserting seniority?

Andy Burns

Something like the recommendation for only one person to shop for food rather than bringing the whole of the extended family into the supermarket.

Reply to
alan_m

I don't think so, just interacting, demonstrating sincerity. Same with South Indians.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Well, no actually, but have been shouted at myself, due to people not being visible to blind people. I also find those on mobiles and on pedal cycles seem to ignore people as well. Truth be told a brief close encounter between two people is unlikely to be an issue, its the standing facing each other and chatting or while in queues that have a problem. Another reason why I don't go shopping on my own now, since moving queues are an issue for the blind as well. The general public think we have some aura which allows us to know the in front has moved.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

So you were annoyed about not being allowed to break a 'law' you knew about, while expect others to abide by it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Hi all

I am interested to hear whether other readers have had the same experience regarding the attitude to Covid Guidance.

This is not a racial slur. I have close neighbours and relatives who would be now referred to as part of the BAME community. We live in a reasonably well off suburban village close to Hull and enjoy walking locally. I would expect that the majority of residents are likely to be reasonably bright (and therefore informed) to be able to afford to live in the area (lottery winners excepted). It is only my experience, but the BAME people we have encountered in the local villages do not seem to expect to make space or give way to others to mutually enable safe distancing. Granted a notable percentage of non-BAME residents behave in the same way but many do go out of their way to cross the road or walk on the road.

I am thinking this may be a cultural thing like some sort of feeling of entitlement or superiority.

Has anyone noticed similar behaviours?

Phil

Reply to
thescullster