school covid tests

There seem to be calls for all pupils and staff to be tested weekly, as far as I can make out that's about 12 million tests per week, compared to just over 13 million total covid tests since the epedemic started ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

There is supposed to be this new test that screens for more than covid, by looking at a tell in a tube to see which virus was detected apparently. This could be a good little earner for somebody. The hypochondriac market is always there. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Not if they pool the blood.

One test per class? Only do more if positive.

No idea how realistic that is, but it has been discussed quite widely and, I believe, used in some scenarios.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

It's the left-wing teachers trade unions that is the problem Brian

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Teachers approaching retirement age are at considerably more personal risk than the pupils they are teaching. They should be worried.

A primary school teacher at retirement age is roughly 1000x more likely to die from it than any of their pupils (and that is probably understating the risk).

I think testing of the worried well is a waste of time unless it is being done to protect pupils who are imuno-suppressed. Most of those demanding weekly testing have no idea how unpleasant the procedure is.

The government was discussing the option of reinstating a lockdown for the over 50's but it was decried as ageist by all the usual tabloids. However, it remains about the only sane strategy to minimise fatalities whilst getting the economy mostly going again. Arguably the under 45's should never have been locked down in the first place. Their personal Covid risk is broadly comparable with 5 years driving on UK roads.

Reply to
Martin Brown