OT Google World Cup

Is it just me or have the Google servers collapsed under the weight of World Cup activity? Most other things seem to be ok but even getting a map to load takes an age. Maybe the Americans don't understand the worldwide football fever.

Reply to
stuart noble

What Americans and what fever? Google are based in Ireland and only their secret police arm is anywhere ne ar the USA.

I didn't know England had a match yesterday but even if I had I wouldn't ha ve watched it as the England national team always behave like steamed puddi ngs well past their sell by date for their first 3 or so matches and then t hey lose and are back home before the second round.

I can't believe I am the only realist in this country and I doubt there is such a thing as a foolball fever epidemic.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

What Americans and what fever? Google are based in Ireland and only their secret police arm is anywhere near the USA.

I didn't know England had a match yesterday but even if I had I wouldn't have watched it as the England national team always behave like steamed puddings well past their sell by date for their first 3 or so matches and then they lose and are back home before the second round.

England usually get past the first round - you're thinking of the Scots. BTW Enland were the first team to record a scoreless draw in the World Cup finals.

Reply to
ARW

No - Google are based in Mountain View with datacentres and offices all over the globe, including London and Dublin.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What little positivity there was last night was eclipsed by Phil Neville's enthusiastic commentary...

More likely to be your ISP or their peering, with the extra streaming traffic.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't think so. Everything else seems to be running normally but anything Google related is down a lot of the time. Other user accounts and other machines the same. GMail unusable etc. It'll pass I guess

Reply to
stuart noble