Black & Decker workmates

Hi all,

I'm replacing my no-name workbench as it's collapsed under the weight of the last job (under the weight of my leg trying to hold it still really). The Black and Decker workmates seem the natural choice but there's several models

and I'm wondering if anyone can explain how they differ in practice.

The WM301 is out because I want something a bit sturdier but I'm not sure how the WM536, WM550, WM626 or WM825 compare with each other. The 825 obviously has the most features (3 vice positions, one handed operation) but how important are they? I read somewhere (can't find it now) that the 825 is much heavier than the others. Are the extra features worth this extra weight? Is the weight maybe even a good thing?

Opinions please :)

Thanks.

Alex

Reply to
alamaison

I have an old heavy steel one. Its now in several different colours having used it to hold stuff to paint when I could see!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's good then. Parents-in-law wanted to buy me a nice present when wife and I moved into a new house, and there was work to be done, so I said a work-mate, and they bought me a 301. While it's been useful, it's not been as useful as a 'real' one.

When I worked for a guy had one, many, many years ago, it was closest in appearance to the 825, and while heavy, once the clips were released it could be set up one-handed - which was useful on occasion.

If I were buying one now, it'd either be the 825 or... no, it would be the 825, the others look too flimsy. According to Google, you can pick one up for 62 quid ex-delivery, absolute bargain for how useful they are.

Justin.

Reply to
Justin C

Not sure of the number of mine but it is a mid range 5something. Now on my second one, after first got generally battered by constant use. What I have found is that the top/jaws (made of some kind of wood composite) on both have warped in time so if there is a top of the range with real wood then this might be better.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I've still got my WM700, which is now about 25 years old. Two leg springs have broken, but apart from that it seems as sturdy as when new. I still use it frequently. Probably wouldn't pass elfnsafety today what with all the sharp edges. I slit open a new pair of jeans on one of the corners recently when I walked past it when it was folded up resting against the wall. A few millimetres closer and it would have been my leg ripped open and me down at the A&E.

Wonderful tool, though.

MM

Reply to
MM

I would certainly go for a sturdier model. I have an old one about 35 years old and still going strong, its been misused over the years but still perfectly useable. By comparison I also have my F-I-Laws workbench looks like the cheapo 301 and although handy as it is lighter in weight it is certainly not of the same quality or accuracy of my old one.

Reply to
ss

My ancient mostly cast aluminium one has plywood jaws. Which are still fine despite it having been left outside for lengthy periods.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine too, but the jaws are well past their best. Does anyone know if the modern equivalents can be fitted to such an early frame? I supose the alternative would be to make new ones from scratch, which actually probably wouldn't be all that tricky.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

alamaison :

If you want something *sturdy* try to find a second-hand B&D Workmate Professional 2000. Mine's been going for probably 25 years and seems indestructible.

e.g.

example seems to be missing the third (loose) bench part)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

like a bargain for anyone living near Stockton on Tees.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

available."

Appears eBay have broken their website again as if I enter the number in the search box I get the item (pity it ended at 1700, I was still working then...).

Not a million miles away... hence looking.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for the advice. One (hopefully sturdy) WM825 on it's way.

Alex

Reply to
alamaison

Reading this thread got me having at look at mine and it's a WM525 Type 5 apparently. It looks like the one at the back here:

used to really look after it (nip it inside if it started raining) but it ended up getting left outside under a cover (which fell to bits over time) and so now it's look a bit scruffy. ;-(

I've kept it lubed up and running though and still works perfectly, unlike a much newer copy I picked up on Freecycle (so that one stays outside now). ;-)

The WM525 isn't what you would call light and once planted seems to sit there pretty well.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m