Loosening a ceiling rose

I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it. I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it, or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench, after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom, inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it. Any better suggestions?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Now, before you do - has the ceiling been painted lost of times and has the paint sealed the top of the rose?

Reply to
Tim Watts

If all else fails, just crack it off with a good thump of a hammer (assuming the power's off), then fit a whole new assembly.

Reply to
GMM

A few sharp whacks with the handle of the screwdriver around the edges to break the stiction on the threads usually does it. If not, hit it harder and then replace the one with the broken cover with a new one!

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed.

Reply to
ARW

It has been my experience that these tend to crack once o you put enough force on them to turn them.I have found to my cost the only way to make these actually usable is to remove them every year or so. I assume some paind has not trickled into the thread, maybe some paint softener might help.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sadly often that is the only option with these plastic things. In my view they use poor plastic. I had one on the bathroom ceiling made of what appears to be polypropolene and it never had this issue, though was somewhat more flexible and you should not over tighten the lid as it stretches a bit. The other issue of course if old fashioned bulbs were in use is that the socket disintegrates and the wire goes rock hard again due to the heat. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1. Thats what I do.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

no doubt after checking that it's screwed to a joist and not just into lath and plaster which is only held up by the ceiling paper :)

Reply to
Robin

"Robin" wrote in news:lnjs79$qaa$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

+1
Reply to
DerbyBorn

En el artículo , Timothy Murphy escribió:

Couple sharp raps with a screwdriver handle to loosen the threads. Clean off the WD40 (that was a waste of time) and use a Marigold glove to grip it and give it lots of welly.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Timothy Murphy pretended :

Have you one of those rubberised engine oil filter removers? Like rubber strap, with a handle - the more you try to turn the tighter they grip, about a pound in a pound shop.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I used these:

Bob Eager

SDS chisel, angle grinder, multi-master, pressure washer, hot air gun, demolition ball.

Either of the above will move it, and gaffa tape to fix remains ....

Reply to
Adrian C

So you plug it in and screw the cover on and it gets stuck the same as the cover on the ordinary ones?

Reply to
dennis

I once went to an auction where amongst other things there was a screened room for disposal, for emc testing equipment. Part of the description in the catalogue said "explosives are not allowed in the removal of this lot" (I assumed that they meant cutting charges, rather than blowing the building down)

You forgot to mention explosives, some ceiling roses I have had may just about have yielded to them.

Good stuff gaffer tape :-)

Reply to
Bill

No, because the cover is soft plastic and pushes on. Doesn't need to screw on because removing it doesn't expose live parts.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I go with the suggestion of breaking off the cover, which shouldn't be too difficult.

The problem with trying to unscrew the cover using force is, even if the fitting is properly secured to a joist, using force may put unnecessary strain on the fixing when the price of a new rose simply doesn't warrant it.

michael adams

michael adams

A friend suggested a coffee jar lid as a replacement rose cover!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

*About* a pound?