Plaster ceiling rose

Hi Group!
Just about to undertake the installation of an 18" plaster ceiling rose, but I'm a bit unsure of the procedure.
I understand the piece is set with adhesive, but is first held in place using screws. Is this correct?
How do I then fit my ceiling light to it? I guess I need a hole for the flex, but is the light simply screwed to the plaster rose, or do I have to a buy a bracket?
Sorry for the naivety of the questions, but I've never done this before and the procedure isn't in my DIY manual.
Thanks for reading and helping.
Steve wrote:

Never done it myself so not sure whether you'd necessarily need screws too, but sounds sensible.

Hard to say without knowing what sort of light fitting you're talking about: there are many different types of bracket available for diffent circumstances.
David

Yes. Fix it with screws first then remove and apply adhesive. Screw back in place. Use rustless screws so they can be plastered over.

Depends entirely on the light fitting. A lightweight one can be screwed direct into the rose using normal methods - but a heavier one will need to be fixed through it to above. Just the same as fixing to a cavity ceiling.

--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

I presume the hole in yours is already cut out in the middle were the cables come through?
Screw it to the ceiling around the perimeter of that hole with 2 or 3 brass screws,if need be fix a wide noggin to the joist above? layer some nonails all over the ceiling rose get someone to hold it in place while you screw it up to the ceiling. Whatever light drop you choose the fixing should cover the brass screws and no need for any filling as someone suggested.
Steve wrote:

The best way is probably to have a ~2" hole in the rose and fit a metal BESA conduit box so that it is flush to the surface of the plaster rose. This should be securely screwed through the plaster to joists or noggins above. You can then fit a conventional ceiling-rose and pendant to it, or a decorative fitting which comes with its own mounting plate. The BESA box will contain terminal block to make the connections between the circuit cable and the decorative fitting. The BESA box must be earthed.
BESA / condiot box - loop in http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20BX4L.html
(The holes in the back will need grommeted)
Then if you have a fitting with suspension chains but no mopunting plate you can use a hook plate like this
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/COHP.html
Owain