ceiling rose position

Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason? Her indoors seems to think it was to throw light on the dressing table, which would make sense in an all female household I suppose.

Reply to
stuart noble

I have always thought that it was so that if you were in the room at night any shadows would not be cast on the curtains to be visible from outside.

Reply to
Andrew May

I thought it might be more to imitate the natural light received during the day.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I have always understood it was so that the light came from much the same direction by night as by day. That would make positioning work areas, something like a sewing chair for example, although it could also be a dressing table, simpler. The lamp might only be 15W or 25W, so direction was probably more obvious, particularly if, to judge by the layers of paint I have taken off various houses, dark brown was a favourite interior colour.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Reply to
Hepcat

That's what I was told at the Birmingham Back-to-Backs: it's to avoid casting a silhouette on the curtains.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in this day and age.

Reply to
stuart noble

Bottom right of this one

ARWadsworth

I doubt it is the orininal wiring:-)

The electricians probably rewired to the same spot to save damaging the ceiling. I always ask the customer what they want to do when rewiring such houses.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I always thought it was to simulate the direction of sun light.

How about; why do doors open into rooms instead of against the wall? IYSWIM.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It was left it in a will.

Well I love it.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I know of two possible answers.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's easy, it's to give the occupants time to hide the maltesers instead of being caught in the headlights ;) I was taught that doors open in the best direction to 'protect' the room.

Reply to
brass monkey

Along with my *6*th edition IEE regs ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

100,000th visitor to that page?

That picture must have been online as soon as the book was printed.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

That was to give the person undressing time to shout!

Reply to
John Rumm

you have to sign up in order to see the image in-focus?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You don't want any shadows on curtains of naked ladies do you, I mean that would be encouraging impure thoughts.. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If that were the reason then why not in the living rooms as well?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

> Do you have to sign up in order to see the image in-focus?

Just click on it...

Reply to
John Rumm