[OT] Google Wants to Use AI to Cut the UK's Electric Bill by 10 Percent

So it's only used when you want it, so you wouldn't need a system where if no one is the the light goes off, which is what we were talking about in offices and lecture rooms.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I did actually mention I used a room occupation switch, where and its reason - I only mentioned the system I use for the outdoor lighting in passing. You asked about the latter, I explained as you requested.

The 9w lamp costs around 11p to run for 37 days of use, by my calculation, so hardly worth struggling in the dark or bothering to only switch on when needed. I fitted the solar clock way back when we had 100w of lighting there.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

we had them here for a while they weren;t very popular for lecturer rooms but that was 20 years ago, no idea what they do now.

cheers for that so basically it's a similar idea but for differnt reasons.

Which makes sense but do yuo manually switch it on or is it automated by time or movement.

Yes that would be well worth keeping off unless you wanted them on. Here we have LED lighting under the handrails of the roof area which is in sunlight at the monment and they are ON so I:m not sure how this is saving money or electricity as last year we didn't have any lights theres day or night.

Just a bit annoyed by our Green Mary awards were they find places to put LEDs to save electricity but no LEDS/lights were they before so how does installing them save anything especailly when they are on during teh day and no ones thre at night.? Other than getting a manager promotion OI don't see the point.

Reply to
whisky-dave

whisky-dave submitted this idea :

As said, it is turned on and off by a solar time clock, there is no manual switch apart from on the clock. It turns on by a time clock which adjusts itself for sunset, but irrespective of sunrise time - it is set to go off at around 11:30pm.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

have you managed to find an electronic solar clock? Or, are you still having to use a mechanical one?

Reply to
charles

when they are not there so the lights are switched on at night when they ar e on holiday.

fairly typical lounge: usual lighting 57w to light the window 11w

hat we all have it.

e it can be in most offices but if yuo look at commercial towers in large c ities all the lights are on. You only have to see a few night shots of the offices in carnery wharf amonst other places.

ome of teh local pubs are closed on a saturday because there's no one about .

???

ff at certain times but that might require IoT something that few peole see any advantage in.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

charles was thinking very hard :

Its an ancient mechanical one. I could replace it with a solar cell in series with an electronic clock though, to turn the light off at 23:30.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Maybe yuor burglars are realy thick I;d have thought they would be able to work out that a light to just a window means you are out.

Check out the city of london skay line about 3am sunday moring and explain to me why there's so many working in office blocks at that time.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The cleaners are in.

Reply to
mechanic

Yeah sure cleaning 100+ offices at the same time.

Reply to
whisky-dave

or to have less plant in the first place.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

prediction using future data would be easy.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

But if that shaving was safe it might be a good way to go. For example, if the AI determined that by slightly altering the timing of the commercial breaks in TV programs you could reduce peak demand that might enable you to reduce the reserve capacity.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

If you mean staggering them so that multiple channels don't have breaks at the same time, I expect the advertisers and hence the channels would have something to say about that reducing eyeballs and revenue.

Reply to
Andy Burns

obviousy the point is they can't tell with curtains closed. You should apply for that brain.

how irrelevant.

Reply to
tabbypurr

But things are different anyway now, from the days when 20 million would be watching Corrie and all put the kettle on during the break.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So they won't realise the curtains have been closed all day then.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I would have thought that by the time we get micromanagement of every appliance that would include motorised curtain rails for security & energy conservation. But we won't know for sure until it happens.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's prolly a stitchup. I get fed up with the number of times I turn the telly on at random, only to find an ad break on each of several channels I try.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I still don't believe that you need to spend billions on AI to work this out

the professionals can do it manually for peanuts

If it isn't being done already, it wont be because no-one has thought of it. It will be because the TV networks are resistant.

tim

Reply to
tim...